No. 2 UM slips past No. 4 Loyola, 13-12For a few minutes...

April 29, 1992|By Bill Free | Bill Free,Staff Writer

No. 2 UM slips past No. 4 Loyola, 13-12

For a few minutes in the first half, the Loyola women's lacrosse team seemed bent on making history yesterday at Loyola's Curley Field.

The No. 4 Greyhounds dazed No. 2 Maryland with four straight goals in a little more than five minutes at the start, indicating they were prepared for the school's first women's lacrosse victory against the Terrapins.

But Maryland, staking a claim for the No. 1 spot in the NCAA rankings, retaliated with six consecutive goals over the next 3:26 and went on to a 13-12 victory. Maryland is 11-0 against Loyola.

Maureen Scott led the Terps with five goals. Leigh Frendberg had four goals and one assist.

During the six-goal run, the taller Terrapins looked unstoppable.

Maryland tri-captain Kerstin Manning said there was nothing complicated about the turnaround.

"We just decided to stop playing like a bunch of wimps," Manning said. "We want to be No. 1 and feel we deserve a chance for the top seed [in the six-team NCAA women's tournament] after this victory."

Maryland (11-1) has lost only to No. 1 Harvard, 7-5, in sub-freezing temperatures at Harvard.

Harvard also has one loss, falling in overtime, 10-9, at Loyola (11-4) two weeks ago.

Manning, a junior, said two straight losses in the NCAA championship game have intensified her drive to be No. 1.

"We lost to Harvard in the finals my freshman year and lost to Virginia in the finals last year," she said. "I'm so tired of being No. 2."

While Manning and her Maryland mates are concentrating on being No. 1 at the end of the season, Loyola is concerned with making the NCAA tournament.

"I'd say our chances are 50-50," said Loyola's Colleen Anderson, who had five goals in the loss, including two in the final minute to cut the lead to one with 12 seconds left. "We have a lot of wins, but we've just come up a little short in four games this year."

Senior Elaine Jones (Friends) scored three first-half goals to help No. 3 Virginia (13-2) build an 11-4 first-half lead en route to a win over host Towson State (8-5).

Virginia was missing junior Erin Stewart (Maryvale), a starter on attack. She suffered a fractured cheekbone when she took a ball in the face during a game at Lehigh on Saturday.

She underwent surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital on Monday night. She was released from the hospital yesterday morning.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.