MARYLAND STATE: — Bill would limit landfill trash
City Council President Mary Pat Clarke has introduced legislation that would prevent Baltimore's Quarantine Road Landfill from accepting trash generated outside the city.
"Metro counties have enacted laws and policies to bar the import of solid waste from outside subdivision boundaries," Ms. Clarke said. "We need to do likewise."
The landfill is filling up faster than city officials expected because it accepts trash from the metropolitan area.
The 143-acre landfill, opened in 1985, was expected to last 19 years. But now, with a final section to be constructed in the coming months, the landfill is expected to reach capacity in 2001.
At yesterday's council meeting, Ms. Clarke also introduced two bills to extend the landfill's life.
One would ban the direct disposal of crushed motor vehicles and other "convertible solid waste" that has not been incinerated. Another would ban the disposal of yard waste, recyclable materials that account for nearly 18 percent of landfill demand.
A Virginia man accused of trying to kidnap the children of a wealthy Korean man was ordered detained without bail yesterday by U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge Paul M. Rosenberg.
Heon Sik Park, 39, of Alexandria, was arrested in Baltimore Friday by the FBI and Baltimore police as he was heading to Pennsylvania to rent a safe house where he allegedly planned to hold the hostages for $4 million ransom, authorities said.
Magistrate Judge Rosenberg yesterday appointed the federal public defender's office to represent Mr. Park, who said he was unable to afford a private attorney. A detention hearing was scheduled for tomorrow.
Mr. Park is charged with solicitation to take hostages and attempted hostage-taking.
Officials allege that he planned to kidnap Kim Sun Jong, a junior at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, and Kim Yun Jong, a freshman at Brown University in Providence, R.I. They are the sons of Kim Hoo Jong, whom authorities describe as a real estate investor in South Korea.
Anne Arundel County:
The state Court of Appeals has reversed the conviction of an Anne Arundel County man who says his lawyer did not inform him prosecutors had offered a plea agreement for a lesser sentence.
The state's highest court yesterday reversed a ruling by the Court of Special Appeals, which had upheld the 1984 conviction of Robert George Williams, who is serving a 25-year, no-parole sentence for kidnapping, conspiracy and battery.
Williams said he discovered too late that prosecutors had offered the plea deal before trial. The state's attorney's office would have allowed him to plead guilty to assault with intent to maim, an offense that carried a 10-year maximum sentence.
The court, in an opinion written by Judge Robert M. Bell, ruled that Williams was denied effective representation because his lawyer did not tell him of the plea offer.
Baltimore police have recovered the $45,000 black Lexus automobile robbers used last week to cart away the $200,000 worth of loot they stole from a wealthy Baltimore County couple's home.
The car was recovered about 10 a.m. yesterday after city police received a complaint about an illegally parked car in the 900 block of Aisquith St. in East Baltimore.
Sgt. Stephen R. Doarnberger, county police spokesman, said the car was towed to Towson to be examined for fingerprints and other clues.
The car belongs to Sheldon and Shelley Goldseker, who were at home April 20 when two robbers came to their Greenspring Valley home, bound them, and stole about 100 pieces of jewelry, several thousand dollars, furs and the car.
Mr. Goldseker is chairman of the Morris Goldseker Foundation of Maryland Inc., which last year gave $970,000 to the poor.
Until a new 80-bed addition is completed, possibly within a year, the Carroll County Detention Center is facing serious overcrowding.
Sheriff John Brown told commissioners the 120-bed jail exceeded its capacity on several nights recently and inmates had to sleep on cots. He said that due to the increase in crime caused by the ailing economy, the jail has been operating at close to capacity since January.
Steven D. Powell, director of the county Department of Management and Budget, said the addition was in the process of receiving the necessary approvals. A groundbreaking has been set for July 1.
A two-alarm fire early today caused $50,000 in damage to a popular Bel Air restaurant and sent a volunteer firefighter to the hospital for treatment of exhaustion and dehydration.
Assistant Chief Edward Hopkins, of the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company, said the fire apparently began in the furnace room of Uncle George's Restaurant in the 100 block of S. Bond St. about 12:30 a.m., causing extensive damage to the building's rear and attic.
A second alarm was sounded at 12:54 a.m., bringing fire apparatus from volunteer units at Abingdon, Fallston, Aberdeen and Level.
The blaze was brought under control in about 30 minutes.