Man Sentenced To 1 Year For 120-mile Police Chase

April 26, 1992|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,Staff writer

A Glen Burnie man who led police on a 120-mile chase through the county last July was sentenced Friday to one year in prison on assault and traffic charges.

Circuit Judge Raymond G. Thieme Jr. suspended all but one year of Edward Thomas Crenshaw's three-year jail term andsentenced him to five years of probation. Crenshaw, 23, of the 400 block of Elwell Court, was convicted Feb. 18 of assault, fleeing and eluding, and malicious destruction charges resulting from the July 24 chase, which involved 42 police cars and a helicopter before it ended1 hour and 45 minutes later.

"He was very lenient," Crenshaw said of the judge after the sentencing. "It could have been a lot worse."

He told Thieme that he knew what he did was wrong.

Crenshaw also was ordered to pay restitution to the county for damage to two police cruisers that were involved in an accident during the chase. The amount he has to pay has not been set.

During the chase, county police officers positioned themselves on bridge overpasses and threw fire extinguishers, flares and sandbags at Crenshaw's Ford pickup truck.

"It belonged to something from a Keystone Cops movie," said Crenshaw's attorney, T. Joseph Touhey. "Or something out of the 'Dukes of Hazzard.' "

The incident began when Crenshaw's wife, Dana, called police to say that she and her husband had been fighting earlier in the day and that he had threatened her with a gun. She later denied saying he had a gun.

She left their home in Brooklyn Park and drove to his parents' home on Elwell Court. Crenshaw came there looking for her and left before she called police to report that he had threatened her.

Crenshaw refused to stop when an officer tried to pull him over. He led police in circles around the county, going as far north as the Harbor Tunnel and asfar south as Benfield Boulevard.

He was arrested when he returnedto his parents' home.

County police Capt. Richard Smith, the ranking officer during the incident, was fined $1,000 by Chief Robert Russell for violating departmental policy in the course of the chase.

Sgt. William Darner of the Western District station was charged departmentally with improper supervision and reporting practices. He is scheduled to go before an administrative hearing July 14.

Officer Gerald Jones, also of the Western District, was charged with using excessive force while arresting Crenshaw. His administrative hearing is scheduled for June 17.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.