Historic Waterford village opens 10 restored gardens to visitors

DAYTRIPPING

April 26, 1992

Waterford, Va., a tiny mill village founded in 1733 by Pennsylvania Quakers, is one of few National Historic Landmark villages in the country. Ten of its restored gardens will be open for tour Saturday and next Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visitors may see an English country garden, a walled secret garden, an herb garden and a Union cemetery dating to the 1800s.

The Old Dominion Dancers, dressed in period costume; the Hamilton Trio, performing on the flute, violin and cello; a bagpiper; and singer Madeline MacNeil, who plays the hammered dulcimer, will entertain. Local and regional artists will display and sell their works at the Art Mart. Visitors may take "Tea on the Terrace" in the Old Mill from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Lunch and snacks will be available at the turn-of-the-century Corner Store. Throughout the village, garden and landscape items will be for sale.

Tickets cost $10 per person; free for children under 12. Waterford is northwest of Leesburg, Va. From state Route 9, take state Route 662 north to the village. Call (703) 882-3018.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.