Two new youth baseball programs are in the lineup as the spring and summer baseball and softball seasons come to bat.
The newly-formedCentral Maryland Travel Baseball League, for youths ages 8 to 14, began play Sunday. The league, with six Carroll County clubs and three from out-of-county, offers play in four age divisions.
Another new enterprise, the Carroll County Baseball Club, a groupformed by representatives of several local youth baseball organizations, will enter four teams -- using the Carroll County Rangers moniker -- in the Baltimore Metro League.
The Rangers, with players fromaround the county, will have teams in the Metro League's age 13-14 and 15-16 divisions.
The younger teams open play May 2; the older ones, May 24.
Here is a look at some of the other area baseball andsoftball season openers:
* The Carroll-Frederick Baseball League began 13-15 division play April 8 and the 12-under group starts April27. Games will be held at locations in Carroll and Frederick counties.
* The Westminster Little League began its major league scheduleSaturday at Bennett Cerf Park. Its minor league and instructional league divisions open at the Westminster Playground on April 27 and 28,respectively.
* The Westminster girls softball program began Monday and will play its games at the Jaycees Park in Westminster.
* The Mount Airy baseball program's 11-12 age division begins play April20. The rest of its teams, including the 13-15 division, start April27. Games are at the Mount Airy Carnival Grounds.
* Sykesville opens its youth baseball season April 20. Its teams will play at the Sykesville baseball complex on Obrecht Road and at nearby Obrecht Field.
* The Carroll County Fast-Pitch Softball League begins its season with a tournament April 25-26 and starts its regular season play May 3. Games will be held at the Central Laundry Complex in Eldersburg.
* Hampstead begins its baseball and softball programs April 25. All games will be held at the Lions' Club fields in Hampstead.
* North Carroll's baseball and softball programs open April 25 and play at the Manchester Lions' Club field and Christmas Tree Park.
* Westminster's 13-15 Babe Ruth games begin April 25 and will be played at Landon Burns Park in Westminster.
* Winfield's baseball program will play its entire schedule at Stem Field in Winfield, opening there April 25.
* The Carroll County Firemen's League begins softball April 26 and will play at locations around the county.
* The CarrollCounty Men's Softball League, with an all-time high 34 teams, beginsits schedule April 26. It will play most games at the Carroll CountySports Complex and others at Westminster Playground and Carroll Community College.
* The South Carroll Athletic Association will play its softball games at Oklahoma Park in Eldersburg, opening there April 27.
* The Taneytown Little League begins on April 27, playing atMemorial Park in Taneytown and Lions' Club field in Middleburg. Taneytown's Little League's Junior (age 13) and Senior (14-15) divisions also start April 27, playing at Memorial Park and at other locations in Emmitsburg and Thurmont.
* The Carroll County Church League begins softball April 28, playing at various locations.
* Charles Carroll begins its baseball and softball programs May 2. The baseball games will be held at the Carroll County Sports Complex and Charles Carroll Elementary, while softball is at the school and Cherrytown Field.
* Finksburg's major and minor leagues (ages 12-under), as well as its newly-formed girls softball (ages 8-12) and 13-15 Babe Ruth
programs, all begin play April 25-26. Games will be played at RoaringRun Park in Finksburg.
* The Carroll County Women's Softball League begins its season with a May 2-3 tournament and starts its regularseason May 4. All games are held at Springfield State Hospital in Eldersburg.
* Freedom Optimist girls softball begins May 2 with all games being played at Eldersburg Elementary School.
* Mount Airy'sgirls softball begins May 2. Games are at Watkins Park near Mount Airy and at Kemptown Elementary School in Frederick County.
* North Carroll's Babe Ruth Prep (age 13) division begins play May 2 and willplay at North Carroll Middle School. Its Babe Ruth 14-15 league alsostarts May 2 and will play at Christmas Tree Park.
* The WoodbineWomen's Recreation Softball League starts May 5 and will play at Salt Box Park in Woodbine.
* The Carroll County Unlimited League, with seven teams, up from last year's four, begins May 10 and will play at various county locations.
* The Central Maryland Girls SoftballLeague, with teams throughout Carroll County, begins play May 10 or later.
* The Carroll County 16-18 Babe Ruth League begins play May17 at a variety of locations.