Relief From Early Bird

Readers write

April 15, 1992

From: Anthony J. Girandola

Severna Park

Last Saturday night, my wife and I looked forward to having a nice rest the next morning. The idea of sleeping late on Sunday was a refreshing one, especially since Daylight Savings Time would be taking effect. We figured we'd loll around in bed until 10 or so and still have plenty of time to get ready for the noon Mass at St. John's.

At 6 in the morning, I heard this god-awful sound. It was loud and long like a school bell signaling the end of class. I sat upright in my bed and my wife screamed, "What is THAT?"

It stopped. Then, 30 seconds later, it started again. Rat-a-tat-tat! Ring-a-ding-ding! The sound was coming from atop my chimney where a metal cover keeps the rain from getting into the house.

I went outside in my bathrobe and looked up. Sure enough, there was a wacky woodpecker banging a tune onmy chimney cover. Woodpecker? This bird should call itself a tin-pecker! Either it was very stupid or very vindictive. I mean, what kind of bug does a dumb bird get from a metal chimney cover?

I heaved arock up there, but my Roger Clemens days are over and I couldn't even reach the second floor. At the sound, however, the bird flew off, and I went back in the house.

No sooner was I indoors than I heard it again -- only louder. Rat-a-tat-tat . . . ring-a-ding-ding! Now, every morning -- when the sun comes up -- it comes around, like Woody.I swear it's laughing at me. "Da-da-da-dat-dat! Ring-a-da-ding-ding!Get up, you dumb lawyer!"

I haven't heard such a startling sound since college, when the bell used to wake me up from a boring philosophy class.

A couple of years ago, I told your readers how to get rid of moles by using chewing gum. I got a great response and many thanks because of that letter.

Now, I am asking your readers to return the favor. I need their help. Will somebody please tell me how to get rid of a pesky wood -- oops . . . "tin-pecker" before I go completely out of my mind?


From: Nancy L. Allred

I am writing to express my displeasure with the annual closing ofMountain Road to hold a parade to promote Lake Shore Youth Baseball.

I am not anti-youth; neither am I anti-athletics. I cannot, however, understand how a heavily trafficked county road on what has become an exceedingly densely populated peninsula, with no alternate detour, can be closed for any period of time by any special group.

My family was inconvenienced last year by the parade. We were trying to get to northern Baltimore by mid-morning to visit a hospitalized parent and take care of financial business related to that hospitalization.

When I called the police to find out how it was possible for theroad to be closed, an officer responded that the Lake Shore AthleticAssociation had always held a parade and that the road closure guaranteed a "captured" audience. I responded that I did not wish to be "captured." He suggested that I send a letter of complaint. I did not and let the matter drop.

April 11, 1992, Mountain Road was closed. I was delayed from an important appointment. I had volunteered to help with a tree planting and cleanup at Saw Mill Creek Park. Most of the cleanup involved picking up debris provided by spectators and participants from the multiple ball fields, basketball and tennis courts.

My anger has prompted me to publicly question the continuation of this parade "tradition."

Besides causing inconvenience to fellow citizens, there are serious safety implications with road closure.

And, yes, there are citizens on the peninsula with business equally important to youth baseball and who should not be restricted from using a tax-supported roadway. I ask that road closure not be permitted in the future.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.