Hopkins rape suspect has lengthy record He served 2 years on weapons count

April 15, 1992|By Michael James and Roger Twigg | Michael James and Roger Twigg,Staff Writers

Calvin Mayo III, the suspect arrested yesterday in connection TC with the rape of a Johns Hopkins medical student, has a lengthy arrest record that includes murder and rape charges that were dropped.

Mr. Mayo, 32, offered no resistance when officers arrested him about 9:50 a.m. yesterday as he and an unidentified woman walked near the corner of Kirk Avenue and 25th Street, police said.

Court documents show that Mr. Mayo was charged in 1985 with killing Lloyd Anthony Bright, a drug dealer who was stabbed five times.

In statements to police, Mr. Mayo said he killed the man in self-defense after an argument over Valium. The charges were later dropped.

In September, Mr. Mayo was charged with raping a woman who allegedly was forced into an abandoned house at gunpoint. But a grand jury refused to return an indictment after hearing the testimony of the woman, who was Mr. Mayo's former girlfriend and the mother of his child.

Mr. Mayo's court files show other charges and convictions of mostly relatively minor offenses.

The heaviest sentence he has served was two years for a 1986 weapons charge and violation of probation. He was arrested again in June 1990 for violating his probation on a theft charge, and he served seven more months in jail.

He was arrested again just 10 days ago -- five days before the Hopkins rape -- on a charge of loitering in a drug-free zone in the 900 block of Rutland Ave.

Yesterday's arrest was made by city police, city sheriffs and U.S. marshals. Police said that Mr. Mayo had managed to elude capture until a tipster alerted them to his whereabouts.

The tipster told police that Mr. Mayo was headed to Northeast Baltimore to pick up some money to use for an escape from Maryland, said Scott A. Sewell, a spokesman for the U.S. marshals office in Baltimore.

Mr. Sewell said the caller identified the street where Mr. Mayo was headed and said he apparently was planning to hide out in Georgia. Officers staked out the neighborhood and arrested Mr. Mayo when he arrived, Mr. Sewell said.

"He didn't have time to do anything," Mr. Sewell said.

The 27-year-old Hopkins student was kidnapped at 7:30 a.m. Friday as she walked in the 800 block of N. Wolfe St. She had been heading to the Hopkins medical school, where she works in a clinical clerkship, when a man claiming to have a gun demanded cash.

After she told the man she had no money, he took her to a vacant rowhouse in the 800 block of N. Durham St., the former address of Mr. Mayo's family, police said. (Mr. Mayo still had a key for the house, police said.)

Once in the house, the man beat the woman on the arms and legs with a board, then raped her, police said.

Afterward, the woman was forced to call her boyfriend, who delivered $200 as directed by the attacker.

The woman was released after the attacker got the money.

After the crime was reported, Hopkins administrators called on police to step up patrols in the area. The hospital also offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.

Court records detail an abduction and rape seven months ago reported by Mr. Mayo's former girlfriend. She told police that Mr. Mayo accosted her at gunpoint from a bus stop at St. Paul and 25th streets on Sept. 17, 1991.

The woman said she was taken to a vacant house in the first block of E. Lafayette Ave., where Mr. Mayo allegedly pointed the gun at her head and forced her to have sex, according to court records.

In a police interview, the woman said Mr. Mayo forced her to sit and talk with him, and told her that "he had to do this rape because [the victim] needed to be taught not to be bad to him," court papers said.

The woman said that she used to be Mr. Mayo's girlfriend and that they had a child, but she broke up with him because he "had become violent . . . on several occasions," the records said.

Police said the woman was able to escape and call the police.

Mr. Mayo was arrested the next day and ordered held on no bail, after a pretrial services review listed him as a "danger to community."

But on Oct. 28 all charges in the case -- including second-degree sex offense and use of a handgun in a felony -- were dismissed after the grand jury refused to hand up an indictment.

Sharon May, the chief of the sex crimes unit of the city state's attorney's office, said the grand jury heard testimony from the victim, then elected not to go forward. She said she did not know why the panel chose not to pursue the charges.

The homicide charge from 1985 was dismissed for insufficient evidence, although no records are readily available to explain why the case was dropped, said Assistant State's Attorney Edwin Wenck, who handled the case.

Mr. Wenck said that his case file is now stored in court archives in Annapolis, and that he did not remember any of the details about Mr. Mayo or the murder case.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.