Suspect held in brutal attack on Johns Hopkins medical student last Friday.


April 14, 1992|By Joe Nawrozki and William B. Talbott | Joe Nawrozki and William B. Talbott,Staff Writers

Calvin Mayo III, charged in the brutal rape of a Johns Hopkins School of Medicine student Friday, was captured today on &&TC northeast Baltimore street corner.

The 32-year-old suspect offered no resistance and said nothing as he was handcuffed and transported to city police headquarters.

A squad of city police, U.S. marshals and members of the city sheriff's department arrested Mr. Mayo about 9:50 a.m. at Kirk Avenue and 25th Street as he walked toward his former girlfriend on the street.

Mr. Mayo was unarmed.

The woman, who was not identified, was released after questioning.

Police would not divulge specifics about the arrest but said the squad of arresting officers and agents went to the intersection after a telephone tip.

A spokeswoman for the Hopkins medical institutions said today: "All of us at Hopkins are delighted that the suspect in the rape of one of our students has been arrested and is no longer a threat to us or to our neighbors.

"It is our understanding," the spokeswoman said, "that the $5,000 reward offered through Metro Crime Stoppers by the Johns Hopkins University in conjunction with the Clergy United for Renewal of East Baltimore was instrumental in his apprehension."

Police could not say where Mr. Mayo had been hiding. An intensive search was started soon after the abduction and rape.

When he was arrested, Mr. Mayo was wearing a brown hooded sweat shirt, gray sweat pants, black high-top tennis shoes and white socks.

He is charged with kidnapping, first-degree rape, extortion, assault, battery, two counts of robbery, malicious destruction of property and possession of a deadly weapon.

The student, 27, was kidnapped at 7:30 a.m. Friday as she walked in the 800 block of N. Wolfe St. She had been headed to the Hopkins medical school, where she works in a clinical clerkship.

After she told her attacker she had no money, he took her to a vacant rowhouse in the 800 block of N. Durham St. There, police said, the man beat the victim on the arms and legs with a board and raped her.

The student then was forced to call her boyfriend. The attacker demanded a $200 ransom that was later deposited on the trunk of a parked car in an alley near the scene of the attack.

The woman was released and called police. She was treated for her injuries at Mercy Medical Center.

Since the attack, the police commander of the Eastern District has increased the number of officers patrolling the area around Hopkins hospital and adjacent neighborhoods.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.