The Rev. E. Kenneth Snyder, a retired East Baltimore pastor, died April 4 at Union Memorial Hospital after a stroke. He was 81.
A memorial service for Rev. Snyder will be held May 3 at 3 p.m. at Faith and St. Mark's United Church of Christ, 4839 Hazelwood Ave.
He had lived at the Meridian Nursing Center-Long Green in north Baltimore since 1988.
A Pennsylvania native, he served at churches in Chester and Glenside there before accepting an assignment in the early 1950s to merge two East Baltimore churches.
The congregations at Faith Church and St. Mark's were combined in 1956.
As the congregation grew, Rev. Snyder oversaw the construction of a new church building on Hazelwood Avenue that was dedicated in 1962.
Rev. Snyder retired from active ministry in 1967 but became bored with the inactivity and went back to work for several years teaching mathematics in Baltimore high schools and doing social work for the state.
In 1986, he was named pastor emeritus at Faith and St. Mark's.
Rev. Snyder was a graduate of Findlay College in Findlay, Ohio, and Andover Newton Theological School in Newton Centre, Mass.
He was a golfer and enjoyed traveling to play on different courses.
He and his wife of 57 years, the former Lena F. Schultz, also traveled to nearby states to watch summer stock theater productions.
He enjoyed listening to classical music and had collected hundreds of records.
In addition to his wife, Rev. Snyder is survived by a son and daughter-in-law, Jan E. and Suzanne C. Snyder Sr. of Timonium, and two grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the UNICEF Fund for the Children, 333 E. 38th St., New York, N.Y., 10016, or Faith and St. Mark's, 4839 Hazelwood Ave., Baltimore 21206.