Hopkins medical student abducted Victim attacked en route to hospital

April 11, 1992|By John Rivera and Roger Twigg | John Rivera and Roger Twigg,Staff Writers Staff writers Sandy Banisky and M. Dion Thompson contributed to this article.

A 27-year-old medical student was abducted, raped and freed for a $200 ransom yesterday as she walked to work at the John Hopkins medical school, bringing a public call by the hospital for action by the city Police Department.

"There is an increasing incidence of violent crime in this area and it needs more attention, more attention than it is getting now," a spokesman for Hopkins said at a 3 p.m. news conference. Specifically, he called on the city to get rid of an "open-air drug market" one block north of the hospital.

At the same time, hospital employees, many of whom said they are scared and do not feel safe at any time of the day, blamed both the city and the Hopkins administration and said both must do more.

"I park on the street and I park as close as possible," said Kelly Lehner, a budget analyst with the School of Hygiene and Public Health. "Nothing's ever happened, but I don't feel safe."

Police were seeking a suspect in the assault last night. Calvin Mayo III, 32, of 1814 E. Madison St., was charged in a warrant with kidnapping, battery, two counts of robbery, malicious destruction of property, first-degree rape, extortion, possession of a deadly weapon and assault.

Mr. Mayo was charged with narcotics violations April 5 and is free on bail, police said.

The victim was abducted at 7:30 a.m. in the 800 block of N. Wolfe St. -- about two blocks from where she had parked her car -- after she was accosted by a man who held his hand in his pocket as if he had a weapon and demanded money, said Agent Arlene K. Jenkins, a police spokeswoman.

The victim told the man she did not have any money and he forced her to go with him to a vacant house in the 800 block of N. Durham St., Agent Jenkins said. Once inside the house, the assailant rummaged through the woman's purse and school bag looking for valuables.

When it became evident that the man was going to attack her, the victim resisted and was beaten on the hands and legs with a board that the assailant found lying in the house, Agent Jenkins said.

Detectives said the woman's clothing was torn during the violent attack. Afterward, the victim was forced to walk to a nearby telephone where her assailant told her to call her boyfriend, Agent Jenkins said.

When the victim told her boyfriend that she "needed help," the assailant grabbed the telephone and ordered the man to deliver $200 to the East Baltimore location for the safe return of his girlfriend, Agent Jenkins said. The boyfriend was warned not to call the police, Agent Jenkins said.

The boyfriend arrived a short time later and placed the money on the trunk of a car parked at the end of an alley in the 800 block of N. Durham St. where he could be observed by the assailant in the vacant house, police said.

After the boyfriend walked away from the car, as instructed, the assailant, wearing a ski mask, retrieved the money and returned to the vacant house where he released the woman several minutes later, they said.

The couple then telephoned police about 9 a.m.

Dr. John Stobo, chairman of the department of medicine and chairman of an ad hoc committee on security of the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, said the area bordered by Caroline Street, Washington Street, Ashland Avenue and Eager Street has become particularly dangerous. "What we are saying is there is an increasing incidence of violent crime in this area and it needs more attention, more attention than it is getting now," he said at the news conference yesterday.

Dr. Stobo said he has talked with police Commissioner Edward V. Woods, who agreed with him that the situation had become intolerable.

"At this point, he hasn't told us specifically what he will do," Dr. Stobo said. "We want more police, more police protection. We want the area to be cleaned of drug dealing."

Four additional officers from the Eastern District will be assigned to the Wolfe Street corridor, where the abduction and rape occurred, two on foot patrol and two in stationary police cruisers, Agent Jenkins said.

News of the attack spread quickly through the Hopkins complex.

Medical student Lisa Jones said she doesn't even feel safe walking along Monument Street after dark in front of the hospital. "I know a lot of the people I study with who . . . will not walk that walk," she said.

After a doctor was kidnapped from a Hopkins garage and left for dead in February, some employees circulated petitions calling on the administration to make the 20-block medical campus safer. "Failure to improve security will have a devastating impact on the recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, students and patients," the petition said.

A member of the medical school faculty, who asked that his name not be used, said the hospital administration is insulated from the security problems.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.