* How do you like the baseball fashion statements being made this spring by Arundel, Severna Park and South River?
Can you believe Arundel coach Bernie Walter wears green and black mittens when it's cold and the Severna Park baseball team is wearing all Navy blue uniforms like some softball teams do?
With he and his coaches wearing baby-blue caps and his players wearing a dark blue, is South River coach Kenny Dunn the Pierre Cardin of the coaches?
* How about congratulations to former Chesapeake star Alex Spak, the Anne Arundel County Sun Player of the Decade for Softball, for taking the Helen B. Krauss Memorial Sportsmanship Award at Shippensburg (Pa.) State College?
TheShippensburg award goes to the scholar-athlete outstanding in the areas of academics, leadership and athletic ability. Spak is the only boy or girl to be named Anne Arundel County Sun All-County four straight years.
* Not only did Old Mill become the first county school to win all five regional championships -- boys and girls indoor track,wrestling, boys and girls basketball -- but how about 91 (40 percent) of the winter sports student-athletes winning Minds In Motion awards for grade-point averages of 3.25 or better?
* Now that Anne Arundel Community College is conducting a national search for its men's basketball coach position, would the unemployed Tark the Shark be interested?
* Will ex-Navy hoop coach Pete Herrmann end up at CatholicUniversity in Washington as the successor to Bob Valvano?
* Why is it necessary for the county to conduct a national search for a successor to Joe McCann as director of Parks when Bill Rhinehart, the unsung hero during the McCann run, is right in the building?
Wouldn'tit be better if the department had someone in charge of the parks and another person in charge of the youth recreation and sports programinstead of the same individual for both?
Wasn't McCann totally out of touch with youth sports but a master at building parks and recreation spots?
* Finally, if you have kids, did you know that the easiest way to get tickets to an Orioles game is to drop a line to the governor and ask if you can use his?
Should you worry about getting your kids out of school to watch a baseball game when the gov sendsyou ducats?
Heck no, going to Oriole Park at Camden Yards is permissible hooky, but kids can't miss a day if Mom and Dad want to take them on a long weekend vacation.