50 Years Ago (week of April 5-11, 1942):
* A sunrise Easter service took place at Meadowridge Memorial Park on Washington Boulevard near Dorsey Road. The service began at 6:30 a.m. with the Sunrise Salute performed on trumpet by George Furbush. Clergy taking part in the service included the Rev. Earl S. Hoxter of the Fort Avenue Methodist Church in Baltimore, the Rev. Melvin A. Baker of Savage Methodist Church, and the Rev. Arthur Slaght, tenor evangelist.
* County Boy Scouts converged on Ellicott City and the 2nd election district over the weekend to collect waste paper and scrap metal for recycling into goods used to support the war effort. Several area merchants lent their trucks to the Scouts to help with the door-to-door campaign.
25 Years Ago (week of April 2-8, 1967):
* Howard County's first public day-care center received funding this week from the Office of Economic Opportunity. The center was to be at the EmoryMethodist Church in Ellicott City. The funding, which totaled $44,103, would be enough to provide for 40 children for 31 weeks. A search was in progress for a director for the center, as well as for teachers and aides.
* A former Howard High School student was awarded a Fulbright Fellowship to study 18th-century French literature for nine months in France. Amie Virginia Godman, a graduate of Howard High andHood College, also taught French in Howard County for three years before returning to school to obtain her master's degree.
Information for this column was culled from the Howard County Historical Society's Library.