Two city firefighters today raced into a burning South Baltimore rowhouse and rescued a 5-month-old baby. Four other occupants of the dwelling were hospitalized as a result of the fire.
The infant was taken to the pediatric unit at University of MarylandMedical Center where its condition was unknown.
The other victims were taken to the Francis Scott Key Medical Center Burn Center.
Battalion Chief Joseph Dillon said the fire in the 200 block of S. Payson St. was started sometime after 8 a.m. by a child playing with a cigarette lighter.
Two city firefighters, William Raab, of Engine Co. 8, and Darryl Williams, of Engine Co. 14, rushed through flames and thick smoke to reach the baby, who was in a crib on the floor behind a closed door.
Chief Dillon said the crib's low-lying position could have helped the infant survive as smoke rose to a higher level in the room.