Agnes Helen Della, the wife of the late state senator, George W. Della III, and mother of Sen. George W. Della Jr., died Friday at her home in Westminster of cancer. She was 83.
A memorial service for Mrs. Della will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Episcopal Church of the Advent, 1301 S. Charles St.
She was a volunteer for more than 50 years at the old South Baltimore General Hospital, now the Harbor Hospital Center. When she started at the hospital, volunteers pushed carts selling candy and magazines to the patients. They eventually raised enough money to open a gift shop when the new hospital building opened on South Hanover Street.
The former Agnes Mattare was born in Northeast Baltimore near Clifton Park. She attended Baltimore public schools and graduated from Eastern High School.
She then went to work for the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. and left in the late 1930s to raise her family. She married Mr. Della in 1936. Mr. Della died in August 1990.
The Dellas were longtime residents of Federal Hill before moving in the late 1960s to the Whitaker Farm, the former residence of Whittaker Chambers, who accused Alger Hiss of being a spy based on microfilm of classified documents that he had hidden in a pumpkin at the farm.
She is survived by two sons, state Senator Della and Howard R. Della; one daughter, Mary Elizabeth Massing, all of Baltimore; and two grandchildren, Elizabeth Massing and George W. Della IV, also of Baltimore.
The family suggests memorial contributions to the Harbor Hospital auxiliary, 3001 S. Hanover St., Baltimore 21225.