Laura V. RileyHeaded patient servicesGraveside services...


April 07, 1992

Laura V. Riley

Headed patient services

Graveside services for Laura V. Riley, former nursing supervisor in the Halstead surgical unit at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, will be held at 2.30 p.m. today at Loudon Park Cemetery, 3801 Frederick Ave.

Miss Riley, who was 88, died Thursday of congestive heart failure in the Mallard Bay Nursing Center in Cambridge.

She retired in 1969 after 10 years as head of patient services, a hospital department that handled special needs of patients and their families from out of town, including interpreters when needed for patients from abroad.

Born in Baltimore, she was a graduate of St. Mary's School in Peekskill, N.Y., and of the Johns Hopkins Hospital Nursing School.

A former resident of the Pinehurst area, she moved to St. Michaels after her retirement.

She is survived by three nieces, Julia R. LaMotte of Savannah, Ga., Helen Patton of Cashiers, N.C., and Sidney A. Willson of Woodbine; and a nephew, Douglas Riley of Dallas.

Robert E. Hicks

Hopkins engineer

Robert E. Hicks, supervisor of an engineering design group at the Johns Hopkins University's Applied Physics Laboratory, died last Tuesday after a heart attack at his home in New Windsor. He was 58.

He had held the supervisory post in the Technical Services Department of the laboratory since 1989. Mr. Hicks was an associate engineer at the Middle River plant of the Martin Marietta Corp. from 1952 to 1963, when he first joined the laboratory staff.

He was an expert on films to which electrical circuits for satellites could be affixed, on hybrid circuits that use parts originally designed for another use, and on the protective packages of microelectronic circuits for different uses, including implantable medical devices that automatically deliver medicine or defibrillate the heart.

From 1985 to 1989, he worked for AAI Corp. in Cockeysville, where he was operations manager and later director of electronic production engineering.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Kenwood High School and the Johns Hopkins University. He served in the Army in the mid-1950s.

He moved from Catonsville, where he was an adult leader of Boy Scout troops, to New Windsor about four years ago. He also maintained a home at Fishing Creek on the Eastern Shore.

He is survived by his wife, the former Janet Smetana; a daughter, Nancy Stevens of Hanover, Pa.; a son, Robert E. Hicks Jr. of Glen Burnie; his mother, Evelyn Hicks of Essex; a brother, Walter Hicks of Ocean Pines; a sister, Maralee Cameron of Middleborough; and a grandson.

Services were held Saturday at the D. D. Hartzler & Sons Funeral Home in New Windsor.

Granvel Stewart Sr.

Recruited scientists

Granvel F. "Jack" Stewart Sr., an employment specialist who helped recruit German scientists for the U.S. space program at the end of World War II, died March 3 at St. Joseph's Hospital after a 12-day illness. He was 86.

Mr. Stewart was hospitalized after suffering an apparent stroke and never regained consciousness. A memorial service was held March 12 at the Towson United Methodist Church in the 500 block of Hampton Lane, near his home of 19 years, in Towson.

Born in Keyser, W.Va., in 1905, Mr. Stewart left in 1922 to attend West Virginia University in Morgantown, where he graduated summa cum laude. He later did postgraduate work at the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.

He then went to work for Maryland's state employment depart

ment, and when World War II broke out, he recruited defense workers for Maryland's burgeoning war industries.

At the close of the war, Mr. Stewart worked as a civilian for the federal government, finding and recruiting former German government scientists to help boost the United States into the space age, and at the same time deny their expertise to the former Soviet Union.

He later worked in personnel for the banking industry, and finally returned to Maryland state government in 1969 as an employment counselor, retiring in 1973. He operated a small accounting business for another decade.

Mr. Stewart was active in the Methodist Church, serving as lay delegate to the Baltimore Annual Conference for 43 years. He had been active for the past 18 years with the Towson United Methodist Church, and enjoyed traveling, classical music, reading and railroading.

His first wife, Wilmetta Patton, died in 1958.

Mr. Stewart is survived by his wife, Eleanor Hook Stewart; two sons, Granvel F. Stewart Jr., of Belgium and Harold E. Hook of Culpeper, Va.; three grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.

Contributions may be made to Towson United Methodist Church.

John M. Martini

Teacher, electrician

A Mass of Christian burial for John M. Martini, a retired industrial arts teacher and an electrician who operated his own contracting business, will be offered at 10 a.m. today in the chapel of Stella Maris Hospice, 2300 Dulaney Valley Road.

Mr. Martini, who lived on Bagley Avenue in Parkville and was active in that community's affairs, died Friday of cancer at Stella Maris. He was 88.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.