Carl C. Knepper
Services for Carl C. Knepper, a singer and public administrator, will be held at 1 p.m. today at Towson Presbyterian Church, Chesapeake and Highland avenues.
A Timonium resident since 1957, Mr. Knepper died at St. Joseph Hospital Thursday of pneumonia and other complications from a hip fracture.
He was 75.
Born in Baltimore, Mr. Knepper attended Polytechnic Institute. He was a 1941 graduate of the Maryland Institute of Art and a 1944 graduate of the Baltimore College of Commerce.
He served in the Pacific in World War II as a U.S. Army accountant.
After the war, he was a singer and soloist in the International Male Chorus, which entertained troops remaining in the Pacific.
In 1946, he returned to Baltimore, where he attended the Peabody Institute and the Johns Hopkins University. In 1951, he received a bachelor's degree in music from the University of Maryland.
He continued a singing career that included performances with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and Baltimore Civic Opera and groups in New York and Washington.
He also sang for many years in churches and synagogues in the Baltimore area and was known as an interpreter of Jewish liturgical music.
He taught music for both Anne Arundel and Baltimore county public schools in the early 1950s, and in the 1960s, he was choir director at the Church of the Messiah in Baltimore.
He worked for more than 20 years as an administrator in the state Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, retiring in 1980.
Since his retirement, he especially enjoyed gardening, painting and travel.
Surviving are his wife of 45 years, the former Edna Weist; a son, Randolph C. Knepper of Poplar Hill; a daughter, Janice E. Knepper of Rosemont, Pa.; two sisters, Naomi Lucas of Cockeysville and Bertha German of Baltimore; and two grandsons.
Martha McG. Henkel
Services for Martha McGlannan Henkel, a registered nurse, will be at 12:30 p.m. today at St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, Ritchie Highway at Cypress Creek Road, Severna Park.
Mrs. Henkel, a Severna Park resident for 40 years, died Thursday at the Anne Arundel Medical Center after a four-month battle with pancreatic cancer.
She was 71.
Born in Catonsville, she attended Notre Dame High School and was a 1943 graduate of the Mercy Hospital Nursing School.
In 1943, she married Frederick G. Henkel III.
The couple moved to Reno, Nev., where he was stationed with the Army Air Corps and Mrs. Henkel worked as a hospital nurse.
After the war, they returned to Maryland to live in Baltimore's Stoneleigh neighborhood, and Mrs. Henkel became a nurse at Mercy Hospital.
Several years later, they moved to Severna Park. She then took a nursing job at Anne Arundel General Hospital, followed by a position as an industrial nurse for the old Hutzler's department stores. She retired in 1976.
She was a member of the Olde Severna Park Improvement Association, the Pearl McGowan Rughookers Guild, and the alumnae associations of Notre Dame and the Mercy nursing school.
She also was a volunteer for the American Heart Association and a docent at historic Paca House in Annapolis.
She was an active member of St. John the Evangelist Church, and she enjoyed reading, rug hooking, swimming, travel and needlepoint.
Mr. Henkel died in September. A son, Frederick Henkel IV, died in 1957.
She is survived by a daughter, Martha Henkel Klau of Acton, Mass.; a son, Harry Alexius Henkel of Easton; a brother, Austin McGlannan of Coral Gables, Fla.; two sisters, Mary McG. Lynch, of Rehoboth Beach, Del., and Jane McG. Fisher of Dundalk; and three grandsons.
The family suggested donations to the Wilmer Eye Clinic, 600 N. Wolfe St., Baltimore 21205, or to the American Heart Association.
Harry Purnell Jr.
Harry Selby Purnell Jr., the chief representative for Westinghouse International in the eastern Mediterranean region and the Middle East during the 1950s, died last Monday of heart failure at Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury.
He was 87.
Born in Batangas, Philippines, he was the oldest son of the late Elizabeth Kenly Purnell and Col. Harry S. Purnell Sr., M.D., of Berlin, who was noted for establishing a temporary Army hospital at Fort McHenry during World War I.
After graduating from Georgia Institute of Technology in 1927 with a degree in electrical engineering, Mr. Purnell worked for most of his professional life at Westinghouse and spent eight years in Westinghouse International as regional zone director for an area that covered 27 nations in the Mediterranean and Middle East.
During his term as director, he and his family lived in Beirut, Lebanon.
Mr. Purnell retired in 1967 and moved to the Ocean City area, where he had spent many years of his childhood.
He was a 32nd Degree Mason and a life member of Kismet Temple in New Hyde Park, N.Y., and a Shrine member of Sunbury Masonic Lodge in Sunbury, N.Y.
His first wife, Marian Harris Purnell, died in 1964.
He is survived by his wife of 26 years,