ANNAPOLIS — The state Senate honored Carroll Sen. Charles H. Smelser Friday witha resolution recognizing his 25 years of "distinguished legislative service."
The surprise resolution offered on the Senate floor honored Smelser, a Democrat who also represents portions of Howard and Frederick counties, as a "skilled master of the budget" and as a "constant supporter of revered Senate traditions."
Smelser served eight years in the House of Delegates before beingelected to the Senate in 1966.
ABUSE BILL DEBATED
ANNAPOLIS -- A conference committee has been appointed to reach a compromise on a bill sponsored by Carroll Republican Del. Donald B.Elliott aimed at protecting those who are wrongly accused of abusinga vulnerable adult.
Elliott's original bill required social services agencies to expunge the names of those suspected of adult abuse from records within 120 days if the report was "ruled out." The House amended the bill, extending the period to three years. The Departmentof Human Resources currently expunges records after five years.
However, the Senate changed the bill back to its original form, creating the conflict.
REALTY BILL FAILS
ANNAPOLIS -- The House Economic Matters Committee defeated Friday, 12-9, a bill sponsored by Carroll Republican Sen. Larry E. Haines that was intended to protect home buyers and sellers.
The bill, which passed the Senate, 40-4, would have required a state Real Estate Commission to develop a form disclosing facts about the condition of a home pertinentto its sale. A home seller or real estate agent would have been required to deliver the disclosure form to a prospective buyer.
HOW TO REACH DELEGATION
Carroll County has a six-member legislative delegation to the General Assembly:
* Sen. Larry E. Haines (R-Carroll, Baltimore): in Annapolis, (410) 841-3683; in Carroll, 876-4530 or 876-6564.
* Sen. Charles H. Smelser (D-Carroll, Frederick, Howard): in Annapolis, (410) 841-3704.
* Delegate Richard N. Dixon (D-Carroll): in Annapolis, (410) 841-3371; in Carroll, 848-6943.
* Delegate Donald B. Elliott (R-Carroll, Howard): in Annapolis, (410) 841-3371; in Carroll, 848-5373.
* Delegate Lawrence A. LaMotte (D-Carroll, Baltimore): in Annapolis, (410) 841-3109; in Baltimore County, (410) 461-5548.
* Delegate Richard C. Matthews (R-Carroll): Annapolis, (410) 841-3371; in Carroll, 239-3400.