Calvert Hall rallies by St. Mary's, 6-5 Boys lacrosse

April 04, 1992|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Staff Writer

Junior midfielder Scott Meushaw scored three goals, including the game-winner with 28 seconds remaining, as No. 7 Calvert Hall came from behind to upset fifth-ranked St. Mary's, 6-5, yesterday in a Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference matchup.

The visiting Cardinals (2-1) went ahead, 2-0, in the opening period, but were held scoreless in the next two quarters, allowing the Saints (2-1) to build a 5-2 lead.

However, Calvert Hall scored four goals in the final period, the first on an unassisted shot by Marty Kane on a man-up opportunity that pulled the Cardinals to within two with 6:07 left to play.

Senior attackman Sean Ryan brought the visitors to within one goal when he fired in his second goal of the game on a feed from Meushaw with 4:25 showing on the clock. Meushaw then tied the score at 5 at the 1:15 mark on an assist from senior midfielder Brian Hubbard. Meushaw scored the winner less than a minute later.

"That's a tremendous lacrosse team we played today, but I think our team won it on hustle and pride at the end," said Calvert Hall coach Mike Thomas, whose squad dropped a 6-4 decision Tuesday to Boys' Latin. "I have eight kids who have never started before and this is a big win for us because we're so inexperienced.

"In the Boys' Latin game, we got a little more [experience], and today we got a little more, so hopefully we can still be competitive. Hopefully, they've matured enough to be able to help us through the rest of the season, but we'll take this one and rest on this awhile."

At moments yesterday it appeared St. Mary's was taking a rest. The Saints, which beat up on Mount St. Joseph and John Carroll in their first two MSA A Conference games, scored in the opening minutes of the second quarter on a solo shot from senior Rob Tobin, who failed to score on eight other shots on goal in the period.

The Saints' scoring woes continued through most of the third quarter before senior J.D. Gattie's shot caromed off the crossbar and into the net, tying the score at 2. Less than a minute later, Tobin added his second goal to give the hosts their first lead.

The Cardinals tried desperately to tie things up heading into the fourth quarter, but St. Mary's took advantage of the aggressiveness when Eamon McCormick scored on a long pass from sophomore goalie Jim Brown (seven saves) with eight seconds to go in the period.

"Give [Calvert Hall] credit, they came back," said St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead. "We certainly were in charge going into the fourth quarter, but they did the job when they had to and we didn't do the job when we had the ball. We had the ball with a minute-and-a-half to go and we didn't hold it."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.