Meyer's 5 Goals Lead Broadneck Girls To 1st Lacrosse Win

Bruins Rollover Chesapeake, 9-6, In Third Tough Game

April 01, 1992|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Staff writer

The Broadneck girls lacrosse team deserved a break yesterday, not another game against a formidable opponent.

Yet, there were the Bruins, taking part in their third straight contest against a squad expected to be in the scramble for a playoff berth.

Except this time they didn't come away empty-handed.

Senior midfielder Michelle Meyer scored five goals to spark Broadneck to its first win of the season, 9-6, over Chesapeake, last year's Class 4A/3Astate finalist.

Meyer, normally a defender, was moved to center to provide the Bruins (1-2) with some added scoring punch.

"This makes her a more offensive threat," said Broadneck coach Leeann Shuck, whose team lost its first two games to Annapolis, 8-4, and Severna Park, 8-7. "She's a very good shooter. She puts the ball in."

Seniormidfielder Becca Fink added three goals and one assist. Dawn Frederick scored the other goal, and Megan McEwan had two assists and Suzie Goodrich, one.

Chesapeake's Tracey Brown and Natalie Buritsch scored two goals each, and Becky Smith and Lori Wlordarczyk had one apiece.

"This game definitely helps us out a lot and builds our confidence," Meyer said, knowing that an 0-3 record heading into Friday's game against 3-0 South River could have been devastating. "Chesapeake'sa good team, so this was definitely a big win."

Monday's loss to Severna Park, the five-time 4A/3A state champions, was a sign that better times were forthcoming.

"What I saw (Monday) is what I know our team can do. We played awesome," Shuck said.

Chesapeake (2-1) led twice in the early going, but Broadneck dominated the last 20 minutes of the first half to build a 6-3 lead.

Meyer took a McEwan pass, moved a few steps closer to the net and beat Cougars goalie AmandaVernon to tie the score, 2-2, with 16 minutes, 6 seconds left. Vernon (five saves), a sophomore, was making her second start in place of senior Michele Reese, who has been battling an illness.

Fink scored the go-ahead goal on a penalty shot with 12:05 remaining in the half, and Chesapeake never regained the lead. The Cougars did make a run, however, cutting the lead to 6-5 on goals from Smith and Buritsch within the first eight minutes of the second half.

The Cougars continued to apply the pressure, unleashing four straight shots that either missed the mark or caught a piece of Broadneck senior keeper PaigeBowman (five saves). But after the Bruins finally regained possession, Meyer scored off a McEwan pass from behind the net.

Buritsch tallied her second goal to reduce the lead to 7-6, but Fink circled in front of Reese -- who replaced Vernon to start the second half and made seven saves -- and scored with 5:53 left. Frederick later added a goal after a misguided Chesapeake pass.

"We weren't anticipating the ball as well as we'd like," said Chesapeake coach Jim Buchan. "We were kind of waiting for the ball to come to us. We were catching pulling away, rather than catching going to get the ball and turning it into something.

"Full marks to Broadneck. They had a tough one (Monday), and they came out and played really well again today."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.