Stabbing, shootings leave 3 dead

April 01, 1992|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Staff Writer William B. Talbott and Bruce Reid contributed to this article

An 18-year-old Highlandtown man was fatally stabbed early yesterday in a house in the Gray Manor section of Dundalk.

Baltimore County police were seeking a Rosedale youth in the stabbing.

Police said the victim, Jerry Goldberg Jr., who lived in the 3800 block of Hudson St., died shortly before 2 a.m. yesterday at the Francis Scott Key Medical Center of stab wounds.

Sgt. Clifford Hisker of the North Point District said Mr. Goldberg and a cousin were visiting a teen-age girl in the 2700 block of Creston Road when the girl's former boyfriend and another youth arrived about midnight. Sergeant Hisker said that when the boyfriend demanded that Mr. Goldberg and his cousin leave, Mr. Goldberg refused and asked the former boyfriend to step outside.

Sergeant Hisker said the former boyfriend then pulled out a knife and stabbed Mr. Goldberg in the neck, chest and stomach.

Mr. Goldberg and his cousin, along with the suspect and his friend, ran out the front door.

Moments later, police arrived and found Mr. Goldberg lying in the street. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital. Sergeant Hisker said the suspect's name and address are known and that a warrant would be issued charging him as an adult with first-degree murder.

In the city, a 21-year-old man who was shot in the head and found lying in the northbound lanes of the 2600 block of Harford Road early Monday has died.

Police said Dexter L. Horton 2nd of the 900 block of E. 20th St. was found about 1 a.m. Monday by an Eastern District police officer.

Mr. Horton was taken by ambulance to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he remained in critical condition before dying at 11 a.m. Monday.

Detectives said they had no leads in the case and request that anyone having information on the shooting should call them at 396-2100 or the Northeastern District at 396-2444.

Meanwhile, a 64-year-old East Baltimore landlord was being held yesterday, charged with first-degree murder in a shooting of a 44-year-old boarder.

Gene Oliver of the 1600 block of E. 31st St. was charged about noon yesterday with the fatal shooting of Thurman B. Yates Jr., of the sameaddress. City police said the men got into an argument in a second-floor hallway. Police say Mr. Oliver got a .38-caliber revolver and fired one shot, striking Mr. Yates in the head. Mr. Yates died at the scene.

Mr. Oliver was arrested at the house. A gun was recovered in 2 2TC bedroom, police said. Mr. Oliver was to appear for a bail review hearing yesterday at the Eastside District Court.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.