* NORTH CAROLINA MOTOR SPEEDWAY -- Named Chris Browning as public relations director.
* CALIFORNIA ANGELS -- Purchased the contract of Steve Frey, pitcher, from the Montreal Expos and assigned Frey to Edmonton of the Pacific Coast League.
* CHICAGO WHITE SOX -- Sent Jeff Carter, Ramon Garcia and Chris Howard, pitchers; Esteban Beltre, infielder; Derek Lee, outfielder, to Vancouver of the Pacific Coast League. Sent Nelson Santovenia, catcher, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
* MILWAUKEE BREWERS -- Sent Cal Eldred and Mark Kiefer, pitchers; Jeff Kunkel, infielder, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
* MINNESOTA TWINS -- Traded Paul Sorrento, first baseman, to the Cleveland Indians for Oscar Munoz and Curt Leskanic, pitchers.
* NEW YORK YANKEES -- Optioned Gerald Williams, outfielder, to Columbus of the International League.
* SEATTLE MARINERS -- Agreed to terms with Dave Schmidt, pitcher, on a minor-league contract.
* TEXAS RANGERS -- Sent Gerald Alexander, Barry Manuel, Roger Pavlik, Bob Sebra and Mike Jeffcoat, pitchers, to Oklahoma City of the American Association.
* CHICAGO CUBS -- Sent Turk Wendell and Jim Bullinger, pitchers; George Pedre, catcher; Rey Sanchez and Doug Strange, infielders; Ced Landrum, outfielder, to Iowa of the American Association. Placed Mike Harkey, pitcher, on the 60-day disabled list. Sent John Salles, pitcher, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
* LOS ANGELES DODGERS -- Placed Rudy Seanez, pitcher, on the 15-day disabled list. Purchased the contract of Mitch Webster, outfielder, from Albuquerque of the Pacific Coast League. Announced Greg Smith, infielder, refused an outright assignament to Albuquerque and became a free agent.
* MONTREAL EXPOS -- Agreed to terms with Bill Landrum, pitcher, on a one-year contract. Sent Jerry Goff, catcher, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
* PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES -- Placed Ricky Jordan, first baseman, and Ken Howell, pitcher, on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 27.
* PITTSBURGH PIRATES -- Placed Don Slaught, catcher, on the 15-day disabled list.
* ST. LOUIS CARDINALS -- Sent Jeff Ballard and Paul Kilgus, pitchers; Luis Alicea, infielder; Jose Fernandez, catcher, to Louisville of the American Association. Sent Fidel Compres, pitcher, to Arkansas of the Texas League.