PATAPSCO STATE PARK — More than 30 gallons of fuel leak into river
Some 30 to 40 gallons of diesel fuel spilled into the Patapsco River yesterday when a fuel tank on a construction site at Patapsco State Park overturned, Howard County fire officials said.
The diesel oil leaked into the river from a vent pipe on top of the tank into the river, casting a rainbow sheen on the water, said Sgt. Richard Barnes, one of the firefighters who responded to the 7:18 a.m. call. A crew from the state Department of Environment responded to the Avalon area of the park, but a spokesman said the fuel that went into the rain-swollen river cannot be recovered.
The contractor was working yesterday to clean up the fuel spilled on the ground, he said.
When Howard County firefighters arrived on the scene, they found the 275-gallon fuel tank overturned on a sandy patch of ground located near a dam and swinging bridge, fire officials said. The tank was being used by a construction crew working on one of the dams, said Sergeant Barnes.
"It wasn't a lot that got into the mainstream of the Patapsco," Sergeant Barnes said.
Hit-and-run accident kills man after he falls in road
A 40-year-old man was killed in a hit-and-run accident in College Park late Friday, Prince George's County police reported.
John Paul Lawrence Jr. was standing on the corner in the 8600 block of Baltimore Ave. about 10 p.m. Friday when he fell into the road, police said.
He was hit by a late-model Chevrolet Camaro, either dark blue or black, that failed to stop and headed north, police said.
Mr. Lawrence, of no known address, was pronounced dead at Prince George's Hospital Center, police said.
Woman dies, man hurt in rowhouse fire
A Southeast Baltimore woman died early yesterday and a 25-year-old man was critically injured in a two-alarm house fire.
The 21-year-old woman, whose identity has not been released, was found at the foot of the steps on the first floor of the three-story rowhouse in the 500 block of S. Washington St., said Capt. Robert Hatoff, of the city's fire investigations bureau.
The cause of the 12:30 a.m. blaze, which started in a first-floor bedroom, has not been determined, Capt. Hector Torres said.
A man who lived there jumped from a third-floor window to escape, Captain Hatoff said.
Peter Wheeler, who fire officials said broke several bones in the fall, was in serious but stable condition at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center yesterday, a hospital spokeswoman said.
NB The fire did not appear to be suspicious, fire officials said.
Hotels agree to help limit post-prom parties
The Baltimore County Office of Substance Abuse has teamed up with the Hotel and Motel Association of Greater Baltimore to keep teen-agers from renting blocks of rooms for post-prom parties.
The association, which represents approximately 90 percent of the hotels in the Baltimore metropolitan area, sent a letter to members as well as non-members last week asking them not to rent blocks of rooms to high school students during prom season.
The letter quoted Michael Gimbel, director of the substance abuse office, who told the association that "allowing hotel-based parties would be sanctioning any alcohol-related behavior these students would act out."
After-prom hotel room parties have become popular among students who consider it a safe way to drink without having to drive home, Mr. Gimbel said.
The association's willingness to work with the county, he said, "is a very positive step in our efforts to keep young people alcohol- and drug-free."
Historic Sparks home open for special tour
Young Jacob's Choice, a federal-style house built on a Belfast Road hilltop in Sparks in 1801, will be open for a special tour from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. May 9 to commemorate Preservation Month in Baltimore County.
The house at 720 Belfast Road was constructed by Quaker builders in the early 19th century. The first owner was William Ensor, and succeeding generations of his family lived there and farmed the land. The farm was featured on the Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage in 1986 and was added to the list of county landmarks last year.
The May program, sponsored by the Baltimore County Historical Trust, includes a "pig-pickin" supper and picnic, games, live music and a raffle. Tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for children 7 to 12. Children 6 and under are admitted free. Reservations should be made by April 17.
Additional information is available from Lew Bowers, 472-4355, or Judith Kremen, 321-6725.
School board approves asbestos contract
The Baltimore County school board unanimously approved a $198,505 contract for asbestos abatement of Sussex Elementary School in Essex.
The contract was awarded to A&I Inc., a 6-year-old asbestos abatement contractor. The project will begin Wednesday, and is expected to be finished June 15, according to Operations Manager Darren Bosserman.
Sussex Elementary School has been closed since the end of January, after an inspection of the school revealed exposed asbestos in several rooms. The school will remain closed during the abatement, and is scheduled to reopen for the 1992-93 academic year.