Man slain by pair of gunmenA man was killed last night at...


March 27, 1992

MARYLAND — Man slain by pair of gunmen

A man was killed last night at a West Baltimore intersection by two men who fired several gun shots at the victim and a companion in an incident that witnesses said appeared to be an ambush.

Police identified the victim as Keith Antwon Brown, 18, of the 1500 block of McKean Ave.

According to police, witnesses observed two men armed with handguns standing on the northeast corner of the 1000 block of W. Lanvale St. at North Fremont Avenue about 8:10 p.m., apparently waiting for their victims.

Moments later, the witnesses reported, Mr. Brown and another man, whose name was not released, were seen walking north on Fremont Avenue toward the intersection.

Police said that when Mr. Brown and his companion reached the southwest corner of the intersection, the armed men stepped out from the side of a building and opened fire with what appeared to be semiautomatic handguns.

As the first of several shots rang out, the victim and his companion began running west on Lanvale. Mr. Brown fell to the ground, shot in the back at least once, police said.

His companion continued running and escaped injury, police said. He later returned to the scene of the shooting and was taken to police headquarters for questioning.

Police said Mr. Brown was pronounced dead at the scene from a bullet wound that entered his back and pierced his heart.

An alleged racial attack against two women prompted indictments against two men in Montgomery County Circuit Court.

John R. Ayers Jr., 21, of Rockville, and Sean T. Riley, 19, of Silver Spring, were charged yesterday with 18 different crimes, including racially motivated assault with intent to maim, conspiracy to commit a racially motivated crime, assault with intent to murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

Both black women, 29 and 39, were walking near their home early on the morning of March 3 when two men stopped their car, jumped out and started to chase them, police said.

One was chased into a wooded area where the men caught her, tore her clothing and doused her with charcoal lighter fluid, police reported.

The men attempted to light it, but police arrived, authorities reported.

Authorities said the charges involving a racial crime were being used for the first time in the county.

According to officials, the attack stemmed from remarks made to Mr. Ayers and Mr. Riley several days earlier by black youths.

Both are being held without bail in the county detention center.

Anne Arundel County:

Annapolis Mayor Alfred A. Hopkins has appointed a committee to study the government's space needs and recommend whether to consolidate scattered offices by selling City Hall.

The mayor surprised City Council earlier this week by unveiling a dTC proposal to sell the Colonial-era landmark on Duke of Gloucester Street to the YWCA. Government offices now located in City Hall and in an old fire station across the street would move into a five-story building on Main Street owned by Annapolis Federal Savings Bank.

Aldermen John Hammond, R-Ward 1; Ruth Gray, R-Ward 4, and Ellen O. Moyer, D-Ward 8, have been asked to serve on the panel.

All three council members have raised questions about the potential deal.

Baltimore County:

A Baltimore County psychiatrist who admitted to having a sexual relationship with a patient has agreed to surrender his license -- the second Maryland psychiatrist in a month to give up his practice amid allegations of sexual misconduct.

In an agreement that was made public yesterday, Dr. Philip D. Walls surrendered his license on Feb. 12 to the state Board of Physician Quality Assurance. He admitted he had a five-month sexual relationship with a female patient who last fall complained to the board about the affair.

Dr. Walls maintained a private practice in Rosedale and treated patients at St. Joseph Hospital in Towson. He voluntarily surrendered his privileges at St. Joseph last Oct. 30 "as a result of the patient's complaint," according to a document released by the board.

The agreement allows him to ask the board to lift the suspension in August, six months after it took effect, but he must continue getting psychotherapy.

Carroll County:

The county will be widening doorways, creating parking spaces for the handicapped and hiring interpreters in the next three years to comply with a federal law that requires government buildings and services to be accessible to the disabled.

A 15-member committee is working to develop a strategy for complying with The Americans With Disabilities Act that was enacted in 1990. It requires employers and governments to make reasonable accommodations for disabled citizens by January 1995.

The county budgeted $100,000 in the current fiscal year to begin the work. Also, the commissioners have applied for a $50,000 federal grant that would pay one-year's salary for a full-time coordinator to oversee compliance efforts.

Harford County:

Several Edgewood churches are sponsoring a prayer service Sunday afternoon to offer the community "hope and renewal" following the deaths of four high school students in car accidents during the last two months.

The prayer service starts at 3 p.m. at the Edgewood Baptist Church, 422 Edgewood Road.

On March 9, Robert Walls Jr., 17, and Kevin Poznaniak, 15, were killed in a traffic accident on U.S. 40 in Abingdon. The youths were on their way to a ceremony at school board headquarters honoring their performance on the "It's Academic" television show. Three other students were injured.

On Valentine's Day, Chad D. Sullivan, 17, and his 15-year-old girlfriend, Kimberly A. Lester, were killed when the car they were traveling in struck a utility pole on Route 136 in Churchville.

All four students were active in Edgewood High sports and academic programs.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.