6 plead guilty in slaying at gun shop

March 27, 1992|By Michael James | Michael James,Staff Writer

Six men have pleaded guilty in the Sept. 11 killing of a Belair Road gun shop owner, who was shot in the chest while a team of nine robbers looted 43 weapons from the shop, prosecutors said yesterday. The six accepted plea agreements on Monday.

Three of the men faced the possibility of a death sentence before deciding to enter their guilty pleas. At sentencing May 5, the prosecution plans to recommend penalties of life plus 50 years for each of the three men.

Those three, Rodney D. Brown, 23, of the 1200 block of Clendenin St.; Kevin Brown, 19, of the 5900 block of Radecke Ave.; and Charles Randolph, 23, of the 500 block of Gold St. -- were identified as gunmen in the robbery, said Assistant State's Attorney Julius A. Silvestri Jr.

"We felt we had a very strong case, and obviously so did they," Mr. Silvestri said.

Police said the two Browns and Randolph led a group of robbers into Northeast Gun Shop in the 4900 block of Belair Road. The owner, Charles E. "Eddie" Scheuerman, 53, died of a gunshot wound to the chest and another man, Michael Berman, 42, was shot in the upper back. Mr. Berman survived.

The nine suspects were arrested over a period of two weeks after the shooting. All were charged with murder, attempted murder and robbery.

The three other defendants pleading guilty yesterday, Anthony Miller, 19, of the 1200 block of Clendenin St.; Ulysses G. Scott, 22, of the 1800 block of Thomas Ave.; and Lawrence Bell, 38, of the 2300 block of Druid Hill Ave., did so in exchange for testimony against the final three, Mr. Silvestri said.

It will be recommended that Miller, Scott and Bell receive life sentences with all but 20 years suspended, he said. In exchange for their pleas, they will testify at a May 18 trial against the final three suspects.

Those three are James Blackwell, 24, of the 2200 block of W. Baltimore St.; Keith Bradford, 21, of the 2900 block of Fendall Road, and his stepbrother, Malcolm Bradford, 21, of the 2300 block of Brookfield Ave.

Mr. Blackwell is currently undergoing a psychiatric evaluation at the Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center for the criminally insane to determine if he is competent to stand trial, Mr. Silvestri said.

Investigators said the team of robbers emptied gun cases on two walls at the store, apparently intending to sell the guns on the street.

Eight of the 43 stolen handguns were recovered by police. It is unknown what became of the others, Mr. Silvestri said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.