Smiley-Owendoff, assistant professor at Naval Academy
Services for Colleen Sue Smiley-Owendoff, assistant professor of psychology at the Naval Academy since 1987, will be held at noon today in the chapel at the academy.
Dr. Smiley-Owendoff, who was 40 and lived in Cape St. Claire, died Sunday of cancer at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda.
In 1987 and 1988, while teaching at the academy, she was on active duty in the Navy Medical Service Corps. After being named the outstanding military instructor at the academy in 1989, she became a member of the civilian faculty but continued to serve as a lieutenant commander in the Naval Reserve.
She joined the Navy in 1984, serving a clinical psychology internship at the Naval Hospital in Bethesda. She was later a staff psychologist in the Naval Hospital on Okinawa.
Born at Great Lakes, Ill., the former Colleen Sue Smiley was reared in Atlanta. She was a 1972 graduate of Mercer University and a year later she received a master's degree from the same Atlanta school. She received her doctorate in 1980 at the University of Georgia.
Before 1984, she taught psychology in a University of Maryland overseas program in the Far East. After joining the faculty of the Naval Academy, she taught part time at College Park and was an adviser to young instructors there.
Dr. Smiley-Owendoff was active as a volunteer in the Protestant Chapel program at the Naval Academy, where she was a lay reader, Communion server and member of the Chapel Council, the Officers' Christian Fellowship and the Midshipman Ministry Team.
She was a member of the Christian Association for Psychological Services, the American Psychological Association and the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States.
Author of published professional papers and a frequent speaker, she was a mentor in an Anne Arundel County program for gifted children.
She is survived by her husband, retired Navy Lt. Cmdr. Robert S. Owendoff; her parents, Wesley and Virginia Smiley of Columbus, Ga.; a sister, Katherine Alleman of Atlanta; and a brother, Michael Smiley, also of Atlanta.
Graveside services will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at the Oakland (Md.) Memorial Gardens.
Wayne L. Meddows
Supervisor of ushers
Services for Wayne L. Meddows, a retired Navy chief petty officer who was a supervisor of ushers for the Orioles and a college student, will be held at 1:30 p.m. today at the Severna Park United Methodist Church, 731 Benfield Road.
Mr. Meddows, who was 49 and had lived in Severna Park for four years, died Tuesday at the North Arundel Hospital of cancer complications.
A resident of Waldorf before moving to Severna Park, he formally retired from the Navy last year after a 31-year career. He was a native of Lebanon, Ill.
In recent years, he worked as an usher and as a supervisor at Memorial Stadium.
He was also studying for a degree in psychology and sociology at Bowie State University and was a volunteer adviser for Parents Anonymous.
He is survived by his wife, the former Dana Lohnes Poorman; three daughters, Karen Schartzer of Laurel and Janet and Gail Meddows, both of Poway, Calif.; a son, Benjamin Meddows of Poway; three stepsons, Corey, Kevin and Todd Poorman, all of Severna Park; his mother, Flora Meddows of Lebanon; a sister, Ruth Milton of Pocahontas, Ill.; and a brother, Marvin Meddows of Bellville, Ill.
Olga M. Maroger
A memorial service for Olga M. Maroger, who organized exhibitions around the country of the work of her late husband, painter Jacques Maroger, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow in the chapel at Keswick.
Mrs. Maroger died at Keswick Saturday of kidney failure. She was 93.
Born in a French-speaking section of Switzerland, the former Olga M. LeFaivre moved to the United States in the late 1920s. She founded a French kindergarten in New York City, Le Toit des Petits, which took its name from its location in a Manhattan penthouse.
She was married in 1944 to Mr. Maroger, who had moved to this
country four years earlier, at which time he began his career as a teacher of painting at the Maryland Institute College of Art. He was on its faculty until 1959.
A former director of laboratories at the Louvre in Paris, he wrote about the techniques of the old masters. He also reproduced materials used by the Flemish and Italian painters of the Renaissance.
Mr. Maroger commuted between New York and Baltimore until 1954, when the couple moved into a cottage studio John W. Garrett had built on North Baltimore's Evergreen estate for his wife, Alice. Mr. Maroger met the Garretts in Paris and was introduced to the Maryland Institute by them.
Mr. Maroger died in 1962. His wife remained in the Evergreen cottage, near the Loyola-Notre Dame Library, until two years ago. She led discussions there in French for women studying French literature and arranged shows of her husband's work.