Officer said to handle heroin cash City policewoman is freed on bond. 3 others arrested.

March 26, 1992|By Norris P. West | Norris P. West,Staff Writer Richard Irwin and Joe Nawrozki contributed to this story.

A rookie city police officer took drug money for her heroin-dealing boyfriend and watched as narcotics were placed on her living room table, according to court papers charging her with drug offenses.

The officer, Lisa A. Evans, 22, of the 5200 block of Leith Ave. in Woodburne Heights, was released from U.S. District Court in Baltimore yesterday on $50,000 unsecured bond after her arrest Tuesday night. She is charged with conspiracy to possess heroin and possession with intent to distribute.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul M. Rosenberg released Ms. Evans to the custody of her aunt and scheduled a preliminary hearing for April 10.

The arrest followed an undercover narcotics investigation by federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents and Baltimore police, who suspected that Ms. Evans was associating with drug traffickers while she was assigned to the Eastern District.

Ms. Evans resigned from the police force when she was arrested.

In connection with the alleged conspiracy, three men were arrested at a downtown parking garage during an undercover buy of two ounces of heroin for $13,000, investigators said. They are Darryl Bolling, 23, of the 800 block of Venable Ave., identified as Ms. Evans' boyfriend; Tracey Williams, 23, of the 2200 block of Prentiss Place; and Derry L. Williams, 33, of the 5500 block of Radecke Ave.

All were charged with conspiracy to possess heroin with intent to distribute the narcotic. Mr. Bolling and the Williams brothers were being held by U.S. marshals pending a detention hearing tomorrow.

Investigators described Mr. Bolling as a major heroin and cocaine dealer in the Baltimore area. He also was wanted by Baltimore police on an outstanding murder warrant.

Undercover DEA agents visited Ms. Evans' apartment twice last week to buy drugs from Mr. Bolling, a court affidavit says.

The court document gave the following account:

On March 19, two undercover agents went to Ms. Evans' home and told her they wanted to buy a heroin sample from Mr. Bolling, who was not there. Ms. Evans paged Mr. Bolling, and he returned the message soon afterward by calling the apartment. Mr. Bolling spoke to both agents and instructed them to leave the $250 payment for the sample with Ms. Evans.

But when he failed to arrive at the apartment with the heroin, the agents asked Ms. Evans to return their money, and she complied.

One agent "then flashed $10,000 that he had in his jacket pocket, and told Ms. Evans, in words to the effect, 'This is to show you we're real.' " Ms. Evans told them it was Mr. Bolling's loss.

One of the agents, still in an undercover role, returned to the apartment the next day to buy a heroin sample, and Mr. Bolling and Ms. Evans were there. He paid Mr. Bolling $250, and told Ms. Evans to page him when the heroin arrived. Later that evening, the agent received Ms. Evans' page and returned to her apartment where she and Mr. Bolling were waiting for him. Mr. Bolling placed two samples of heroin on a coffee table in Ms. Evans' presence, and the agent took them, saying he needed to have them checked.

He submitted the tests to a DEA laboratory, where one sample was found to contain 45 percent pure heroin and the other was 68 percent pure.

Frank Franco, DEA spokesman, said agents and police recovered a loaded .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun from the car of one of the suspects. The weapon's magazine clip contained highly explosive hollow-point bullets, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Phillip Jackson.

The spokesman said one man, allegedly Mr. Bolling, threw the packaged heroin out of a car, but it was recovered.

Ms. Evans, who is separated from her husband and has a 5-month-old son, graduated from the Baltimore police academy last year. She received an honorable discharge from the Army after serving in Germany. A urine sample taken from her yesterday showed no traces of illegal drugs, court pre-trial services officials reported.

Agent Arlene Jenkins, a spokes woman for city police, said fellow officers at the Eastern District suspected Ms. Evans was involved in drug activity when they learned about two months ago that she socialized with people allegedly active in Baltimore's drug trade.

After Eastern District command personnel were informed, the department's Internal Investigations Division entered the probe, Agent Jenkins said.

Agent Jenkins said after it was learned that some of Ms. Evans' friends were known to federal drug agents, the DEA joined city police in the investigation.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.