Reds' Dibble out indefinitely with tendinitis National League notes

March 25, 1992

Cincinnati Reds reliever Rob Dibble will miss the rest of spring training with tendinitis in his right shoulder, and it's uncertain when he'll be able to pitch again.

A magnetic resonance imaging exam yesterday found no serious injury to Dibble's shoulder, which has given him problems this spring. The right-hander will be on a strengthening program for the next 10 days to two weeks, the Reds announced.

Dibble, 28, hopes to avoid opening the season on the disabled list.

"I'm not going to be out the whole year," Dibble said. "All the doctors agree I don't need surgery. I will be ready to pitch within a month, I promise you that."

The hard-throwing reliever has been ineffective this spring, giving up 10 hits, five walks and six earned runs in 6 2/3 innings for an 8.10 earned run average. His fastball lost its bite and Dibble complained of stiffness in the right shoulder.

* Bill White, the highest-ranked black sports official, will end his tenure as president of the National League on March 31, 1993, when his term expires, the league confirmed.

His reasons were not immediately known. The New York Times first reported in its editions yesterday that White had made the decision not to stand for re-election, and that he never was fully comfortable with the administrative job.

* DODGERS: Tom Lasorda, who will begin his 16th season as the Dodgers manager on April 6, was given a one-year contract extension through the 1993 season.

* PHILLIES: First baseman John Kruk was pulled from the lineup before an exhibition game because of an inflamed left shoulder and will be evaluated on a day-to-day basis.

Kruk was listed in the starting lineup for the game against the Cincinnati Reds but was deleted when he discovered that he was unable to throw.

Kruk had been sidelined since March 17, when he injured the shoulder diving for a ground ball in a game against Texas.

* METS: Medical records obtained from the physician of the New York woman who claims she was raped by three New York Mets players provided "nothing that would help us in our investigation," a Port St. Lucie, Fla., police spokesman said.

Lt. Scott Bartal of the Port St. Lucie Police Department confirmed the records were from a checkup of the 31-year-old woman that occurred several days after the alleged incident last spring.

"She went for a checkup that she felt was necessary," Bartal said. "I don't have the exact date, but it was several days [after the alleged incident]."

The three suspects -- identified by their attorneys as pitcher Dwight Gooden, outfielders Vince Coleman and Daryl Boston -- were given until today to "fill the needs" of investigators working on the case. Police haven't specified what they are trying to get from the players, but it could range from physical evidence such as blood samples to statements.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.