* Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Thomas A. Yeager, recently returned aboard the destroyer USS Elliott, homeported in San Diego, Calif., following a six-month deployment to the Western Pacific, Indian Ocean and Persian Gulf regions.
He participated in mine countermeasure andsurface surveillance operations and training exercises. While in thePersian Gulf area, the USS Elliott operated as flagship for the North Arabian Gulf Task Group.
Yeager was able to visit several ports, including Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines; Phuket, Thailand; Singapore; Bahrain; Abu Dhabi and Dubai, Saudi Arabia; Muscat, Oman and Hong Kong.
He is theson of Mildred P. and George T. Yeager of Mount Airy. The 1972 graduate of Linganore High School, Frederick County, joined the Navy in May 1987.
* Navy Seaman Apprentice Jason W. Vogel, son of John K. and Marsha D. Vogel of Westminster, recently received a letter of commendation.
He was cited for superior performance of duty while assigned to the destroyer USS Caron, homeported in Norfolk, Va.
He consistently performed his demanding duties in an exemplary and highly professional manner.
He joined the Navy in December 1989.
* Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class John D. McElroy and Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Joseph L. Kahney are currently in the Persian Gulf aboard the aircraft carrier USS America, homeported in Norfolk, Va., and are in themiddle of a six-month deployment.
Over the past couple of months the carrier and its crew spent time in Naples, Italy, where some crewmen helped rehabilitate a shelter for the homeless, donating more than 1,000 hours to the project.
The ship then traveled to Souda Bay,Crete, becoming only the second U.S. carrier to visit the port in more than 20 years. Later, they spent some time in Athens, Greece, where the carrier played host for a parade that included a performance bytheir 65-member Marine Corps detachment.
Most recently, the ship visited Antayla, Turkey, for five-days before traveling to the Suez Canal. The USS America is on its second major deployment in less than a year and was operating in the Mediterranean when reassigned to the Gulf.
McElroy, the son of Helen M. and James C. McElroy Sr. of Sykesville, is a 1985 Liberty High School graduate. He joined the Navy in December 1987.
Kahney is the son of Joseph E. and Joan H. Kahneyof Manchester. The 1986 graduate of North Carroll High School joinedthe Navy in March 1988.
* Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Thomas S. Tulley, son of Thomas W. and Ardyce T. Tulley of Westminster, recently received a letter of commendation.
He was cited for superior performance of duty while assigned with Commander, Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
The 1982 graduate of Westminster High School, he joined the Navy in June 1982.
* Marine Pvt. Adam D. Shaffer, son of Edgar D. Shaffer of Westminster, recently completed recruit training.
During the training cycle at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C., recruits are taught the basics of battlefield survival, introduced to typical military daily routine and personal and professional standards.
All recruits participate in an active physical conditioning program and gain proficiency in a variety of military skills, including first aid, rifle marksmanship and close-order drill. Teamwork and self-discipline are emphasized throughout the cycle.
He is a 1991 graduate of Littlestown High School, Littlestown, Pa.