BASEBALL American League * CALIFORNIA ANGELS -- Placed Dave Johnson, pitcher, on waivers for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release.
* DETROIT TIGERS -- Optioned John DeSilva, pitcher, and Rico Brogna, first baseman, to Toledo of the International League. Optioned Rudy Pemberton, outfielder, to London of the Eastern League. Sent Steve Ontiveros, pitcher, and Steve Carter, outfielder, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
* KANSAS CITY ROYALS -- Sent Archie Corbin, Hector Wagner and Alex Sanchez, pitchers; Lance Jennings and Eric Pappas, catchers; Sean Berry, Jose Mota, Joe Vitiello, Jeff Conine and Phil Hiatt, infielders; and Harvey Pulliam and Kerwin Moore, outfielders, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
* MINNESOTA TWINS -- Optioned Orlando Lind, pitcher; Mike Durant, catcher; and Edgar Naveda and Jack Smith, infielders, to Portland of the Pacific Coast League. Sent Richard Garces and Alan Newman, pitchers, and Cheo Garcia, infielder, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
* NEW YORK YANKEES -- Placed Alvaro Espinoza, shortstop, on waivers for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release. Sent Torey Lovullo, third baseman; Kiki Hernandez and Dave Sax, catchers; Roberto Munoz, pitcher; and Robert Eenhoorn, shortstop, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
* OAKLAND ATHLETICS -- Optioned Ron Witmeyer, first baseman; Henry Mercedes, catcher; Craig Paquette, infielder; and Scott Erwin and Gavin Osteen, pitchers, to their minor-league camp.
# National League * ATLANTA BRAVES -- Optioned Pat Gomez, pitcher, to Richmond of the International League. Optioned Dennis Burlingame and Matt Murray, pitchers; Javier Lopez, catcher; Ramon Caraballo, infielder; and Melvin Nieves, outfielder, to Greenville of the Southern League. Sent Ryan Klesko, first baseman; Kevin Coffman, pitcher; Brian Deak and Tyler Houston, catchers; Eddie Williams, third baseman; and Jeff Manto, infielder-catcher, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
* MONTREAL EXPOS -- Optioned Bill Risley and Pete Young, pitchers, and Greg Colbrunn, catcher, to Indianapolis of the American Association. Optioned Tim Laker, catcher, to Harrisburg of the Eastern League. Sent Blaine Beatty and Dean Wilkins, pitchers, and Rob Katzaroff, outfielder, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
* PHILADELPHIA PHILLES -- Sent Brad Brink, pitcher, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
* PITTSBURGH PIRATES -- Traded John Smiley, pitcher, to the Minnesota Twins for Denny Neagle, pitcher, and Midre Cummings, outfielder. Optioned Albert Martin outfielder, and Joe Ausanio and Victor Cole, pitchers, to Buffalo of the American Association. Optioned Scott Bullett and Daryl Ratliff, outfielders; Mandy Romero, catcher; and Ben Shelton first baseman, to Carolina of the Southern League. Sent Eddie Dixon, Brian Fisher, Blas Minor and Mark Petkovsek, pitchers, to their minor league camp for reassignment.
National Basketball Association * NBA -- Fined Larry Nance of the Cleveland Cavaliers $2,500 for flagrantly elbowing Dikembe Mutumbo of Denver in a game on March 15.
* ATLANTA HAWKS -- Signed Jeff Sanders, forward, for the remainder of the season.
* DENVER NUGGETS -- Activated Walter Davis, guard, from the injured list. Signed Steve Scheffler, forward, and placed him on the injured list.
* ORLANDO MAGIC -- Signed Matt Guokas, coach, and Pat Williams, general manager, to three-year contract extensions.
* SEATTLE SUPERSONICS -- Named Tim Grgurich assistant coach.
National Football League * NFL -- Fined the Buffalo Bills $5,000 because Thurman Thomas failed to show up for a media session prior to the Super Bowl.
* MIAMI DOLPHINS -- Signed James Saxon, fullback, and Doug Wellsandt, tight end.
* NEW YORK JETS -- Signed Al Toon, wide receiver, to a series of three one-year contracts.
5% World League of American Football * BIRMINGHAM FIRE -- Released Tony Alford, running back; Terry Gray, guard; Ron Heard, wide receiver; and Stephon Weatherspoon, linebacker.
* FRANKFURT GALAXY -- Released Robert Claiborne and James Dixon, wide receivers; Erwin Grabisna, defensive end; Spencer Hammond, linebacker; John Hopkins, punter-kicker; Gerald Hudson, running back; Stephan Maslo, kicker; and David Senczyszyn, tackle.
* LONDON MONARCHS -- Released Damon Baldwin and Michael Harris, guards; Joe Brunson and Milford Hodge, defensive ends; Marvin Hargrove, wide receiver; and Melvin Waters, running back.
* MONTREAL MACHINE -- Released Darryl Harris and Greg Paterra, running backs; Joe Johnson, cornerback; Kevin Lightner, guard; and Steve Williams, wide receiver.
* OHIO GLORY -- Released African Grant and John Hardy, cornerbacks, and Eric Snelson, linebacker.