Becker gets early exit for 6th time in Lipton
Boris Becker has entered the Lipton International Players Championships six times and never reached the quarterfinals. Yesterday, in the fourth round at Key Biscayne, Fla., Alberto Mancini of Argentina eliminated the third-ranked German, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4.
"I have some time off now -- five more days than I expected to," Becker said.
Also sidelined was John McEnroe, who lost to Richard Krajicek of the Netherlands, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4. McEnroe had three set points in the first set and blew a 40-love lead serving the final game.
Qualifier Robbie Weiss, who upset Stefan Edberg on Monday, lost to Jakob Hlasek of Switzerland, 6-2, 6-2.
The top seeds in the women's bracket continued to win. Monica Seles moved into the quarterfinals with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Radka Zrubakova of Czechoslovak. Second-seeded Steffi Graf had the toughest time, winning, 7-6 (7-4), 5-7, 6-4, against Kimiko Date, who double-faulted on the final point.
Representatives of challengers' and defenders' syndicates decided to retain the new International America's Cup Class (IACC) yachts for the next America's Cup regatta.
During a day off in both the defender and challenger selection series, syndicate representatives met in San Diego to discuss future America's Cup campaigns.
The conclusion of those gathered was that the new 75-foot IACC boat will be back.
UMBC (6-2) broke a tie with three runs after two were out in the eighth inning to defeat visiting George Mason (11-7), 9-6. Gregg Elliott doubled and scored on a single by Shawn Shugars for the go-ahead run.
* Derek Hacopian hit two of the five home runs registered by Maryland (6-7-1) in a 16-2 pounding of Coppin State (1-12) at Shipley Field in College Park. Hacopian, who has seven homers, led the Terps with three hits and four RBI.
DTC * Tim Sullivan and Pete Hall pitched route-going victories for Towson State in a doubleheader at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington. Jay Logwood's bases-loaded triple decided the first game, and Mark Szalczyk and Jon Eichner had RBI singles in the second.
* Jeff Fang and Jeff Labrecque combined for a two-hit shutout, as Johns Hopkins (8-1) defeated the University of Chicago, 10-0, win its third straight University Athletic Association championship in Cocoa, Fla.
* Keith Whiteford (Calvert Hall) earned his second complete-game win of the season, and he and Dan Coker (Calvert Hall) had two hits each in a 5-0 Washington College (2-4) victory over St. John Fisher in Chestertown.
* Dwayne Woodring had three hits, as Frostburg State (5-1) defeated Utica (0-3), 10-7, in Cocoa, Fla. Tim Garner added two hits and drove in three runs for the winners.
* Western Maryland (2-2) stopped Mount Vernon Nazarene (3-2) in Cocoa, Fla., 5-2, behind Chuck McLean, who allowed one earned run and seven hits in six innings.