Longer trucks for Maryland?The House of Delegates this...

It's your call

March 17, 1992

Longer trucks for Maryland?

The House of Delegates this week is expected to approve legislation to allow 53-foot semitrailers on interstate highways and access routes. Maryland is one of only four states that bans the vehicles, which are 5 feet longer than now permitted. Proponents say that Maryland companies are at a competitive disadvantage because they can't use 53-foot trailers, which save shipping costs. Opponents say the trailers are hard to maneuver and not as safe as 48-foot trailers.

The Evening Sun would like to know what you think. Should Maryland allow the longer trailers?

To register your opinion, call SUNDIAL at 783-1800 (or 268-7736 in Anne Arundel County) today through midnight. After you hear the greeting, you'll be asked to punch in a four-digit code on your touch-tone phone. Punch 4600 and you'll be connected with "It's Your Call," The Evening Sun's phone survey on topical issues.

Look for the results in tomorrow's Evening Sun.

Pampering the governor's dog?

By an overwhelming margin (nearly 86 percent), 906 of 1,054 callers to SUNDIAL say the state should not pay for the care of Gov. William Donald Schaefer's pet dog. The remaining 148 callers (14 percent) would have the state pay.

"It's Your Call" represents a sampling of opinions from certain segments of the community, but it is not balanced demographically, as a scientific public opinion poll would be.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.