Teen-ager dies eluding police Driver was pinned in car after crash on Edmondson Avenue.

March 16, 1992|By William B. Talbott and Joe Nawrozki | William B. Talbott and Joe Nawrozki,Staff Writers XHC KJB

A teen-ager was killed and another was slightly injured early today when their car crashed into several trees in West Baltimore as they eluded police at speeds reaching 90 mph.

Raymond C. Wilson, 16, of the 3200 block of Gulfport Drive in Cherry Hill, was pronounced dead at the scene, said Officer Tony Petralia Jr. of the city police Traffic Investigation Unit.

The injured driver, Jason Guy, 18, of the 5000 block of Hillburn Ave., was treated for bruises at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore and released, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Mr. Guy faces charges of speeding and attempting to elude police, Baltimore County police said.

Both teen-agers apparently had recent troubles at home. The 16-year-old was reported missing by his family Friday and the driver of the car was operating the vehicle without parental consent, police said.

Mr. Guy's mother told police he took her car without her permission, police said.

The crash ended a winding, high-speed chase that began with an attempted routine traffic stop in Woodlawn by Baltimore County police and ended in a stand of trees in the 5000 block of Edmondson Ave. in the city.

Unknown to the teen-agers, the two officers chasing them in marked police cruisers broke off the chase about four blocks from where the crash occurred, according to Sgt. Stephen Doarnberger of the county police.

"The car was pulling away from the officers and they decided to break off the pursuit," Sergeant Doarnberger said.

County police said a 1989 Ford Escort was seen speeding on Gwynn Oak Avenue near Windsor Mill Road just before 2 a.m.

Baltimore County Officer Steven Petersen, of the Woodlawn District, began to pursue the Ford. He was joined minutes later by Officer William Harmon of the Wilkens District.

Sergeant Doarnberger said the chase took the police down Edmondson Avenue into the city. The officers pursued the car at speeds up to 90 mph.

At Edmondson Avenue and Winans Way, the two officers decided to end the chase because of safety considerations and because the Ford had gained considerable ground.

Officer Petralia said the driver of the Ford lost control on Edmondson Avenue at Chapel Gate Lane, went over a curb and crashed into several trees.

The driver was trapped inside the car and had to be rescued by city firefighters. The dead youth was thrown from the vehicle, police said.

City police did not join in the chase because they do not engage high-speed pursuits in the close confines of the city.

Baltimore County police, -- like their counterparts in the state, Anne Arundel, Howard and Harford -- initiate and continue pursuits based on their discretion.

Police supervisors in those jurisdictions monitor such chases and can end them at any time.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.