Edward B. Sheller
Edward B. Sheller, for 40 years an advertising executive for a Baltimore jeweler, died Feb. 25 of a heart attack. He was 77.
Mr. Sheller, a lifetime resident of Baltimore, was a 1933 graduate of Forest Park High School and earned a certificate from what is now the Maryland Institute College of Art.
As a combat engineer during World War II, he fought in North Africa, Italy, France and Germany. For 40 years he designed ads and did promotional work for Leon Levi Jewelers. He retired in 1976.
Mr. Sheller wrote poetry and enjoyed classical music, reading and woodworking.
He was a member of the Beth Tfiloh Congregation and Brotherhood and a member of the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation Fellowship.
He is survived by his wife of 44 years, the former Dorothy Lakein; a son, Lee A. Sheller of Baltimore; two daughters, Lynn H. Friedman and Leslie A. Elhai, both of Houston, Texas; a sister, Hilda Schwartz; and a brother, Samuel J. Sheller, both of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the rehabilitation unit of Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center and Hospital, 2434 W. Belvedere Ave., Baltimore 21215.
Anne Sharp Burkart
Anne Sharp Burkart, a longtime volunteer with the Lake Clifton-Eastern High School Alumni Association, died Feb. 17 of a stroke at the Meridian Nursing Center in Hamilton.
Mrs. Burkart, who was 89, was a longtime resident of Parkville.
Born and raised in Baltimore, she graduated in 1919 from the Eastern High School -- then a girls-only institution -- and for nearly 70 years maintained her involvement in her school, which was closed in 1986 and merged with Lake Clifton High School.
She served as president of East
ern's Alumnae Association and on its board of directors.
Mrs. Burkart was also a member of St. Mark's Lutheran Church in Baltimore and a member of the King's Daughters and Sons, an international religious order.
The former Anne Sharp married Lewis E. Burkart Sr. in 1922. He died in 1988. A daughter, Emily Ann Burkart, died in 1935.
Mrs. Burkart is survived by a daughter, Doris B. Lange of Parkville; a son, Lewis E. "Bud" Burkart Jr. of Parkville; a sister, Dora S. Coard of Rodgers Forge; four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Teresa Dillard, a federal employee who grew up in Baltimore, died Jan. 30 of cancer at her Philadelphia home.
Mrs. Dillard, who was 66, graduated from Douglass High School in 1943. She worked for Western Electric as a technician before moving to Philadelphia, where she worked for 26 years for the Veterans Administration.
The former Teresa Jones was married to Richard Dillard, who died in 1983.
A member of the Germantown Community United Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, Mrs. Dillard also enjoyed gardening, reading and bird-watching.
She is survived by two daughters, Neshamah Dillard Maillard and Richelle Dillard Page, both of Philadelphia; three sisters, Betty Ferron and Iwana Shorter, both of Baltimore, and Doris J. Hunter of Philadelphia; a brother, Herbert Jones Jr. of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.
John W. Peige
Pilot, aircraft technician
John W. Peige, a decorated World War II pilot and aircraft technician, died Feb. 14 of cancer at his home in Bowleys Quarters in Baltimore County. He was 79.
A native of Ashford, Conn., Mr. Peige began his long aviation career barnstorming and stunt flying in New England. He worked as an aircraft technician in Middle River with the Glenn L. Martin Co. -- now Martin Marietta Corp.
Mr. Peige became a pilot in the U.S. Army Air Corps during WorldWar II, serving with the Eighth Air Force in Europe. He flew unarmed L-5 reconnaissance aircraft, transporting Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's staff officers from place to place during battles.
He received the Air Medal for operations in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge.
After the war, he returned to the Martin plant as an experimental air-frame mechanic, making prototypes for new designs. He then worked for General Electric Aerospace in King of Prussia, Pa., as a spacecraft assemblyman until his retirement in 1971.
Mr. Peige was a member of the Experimental Aircraft Owners Association and at the time of his death was restoring a pre-World War II Ryan PT-22 trainer.
He is survived by a son, John D. Peige of Perry Hall; a daughter, Partice A. Peige of Bowleys Quarters; his former wife, Roay Garrison; a sister, Eleanor Sable of the Bronx; and four grandchildren.
George J. Finney
George J. Finney, a retired librarian who started his career at Baltimore's Enoch Pratt Free Library, died Feb. 11 of complications from a brain disorder at the Woodbine Nursing Home in Alexandria, Va.
Mr. Finney, who was 83 and lived in Alexandria, was a native of Churchville.
He graduated from Princeton University and also earned a bachelor's degree in library science at the University of Michigan. He held a master's degree in English from Williams College in Massachusetts.
Mr. Finney's first library job was as an assistant at the Pratt, where he worked from 1931 to 1936. He then became a senior library assistant at Williams College.
He served in the U.S. Army in the Office of Civil Affairs from 1942 to 1946 and was stationed in Austria and Germany.
In 1946, Mr. Finney settled in Washington, where he worked as a civilian in the Army's Office of Civil Affairs. In 1949, he joined the U.S. Information Agency as a librarian. He retired in 1966.
His first wife, Suzanna Finney, died in 1970.
Mr. Finney is survived by his wife, Ada Roessl Finney, and a sister, Louisa France of Williamsburg, Va.