Another Fugitive Father Nabbed

March 15, 1992|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Staff writer

Michael and Sherree Brown spent months tracking their man. They waited outside of family homes on Thanksgiving and Christmas and sleuthedin courtrooms and tax offices.

They donned binoculars, hanging out incognito across a parking lot from the post office in Exton, Pa., where their quarry had rented a box.

After more than a week of bleary-eyed, 12-hour shifts outside thepost office, they spotted their target -- Sherree's ex-husband. Theydialed the West Goshen Township Police Department on their car phone, gave chase and had him arrested.

Michael Glover -- father of Sherree's three boys -- spent most of March 2 in the Chester County Jailon a fugitive-from-justice charge.

The Browns were ecstatic. They-- and the Carroll County State's Attorney's Office, the state Department of Social Services and the Carroll Circuit Court -- had been trying to locate him since he piled up almost $12,000 in back child-support payments.

But on March 3, after posting $2,000 cash bail and being told by the Chester County District Attorney's Office that he had 30 days to turn himself in to the Carroll County Sheriff's Department, Glover was out.

"It's like we go through all of this trouble on our own, and then they let him walk," Sherree said last week at a table at her small Finksburg carry-out. "How could they let him go on$2,000?"

After nearly a week of cursing the Pennsylvania courts and blaming a system they say failed them miserably, the Browns received some surprising news Wednesday: Glover turned himself in.

Now he's in the Carroll County Detention Center for at least several weeks.

Circuit Judge Francis M. Arnold on Thursday refused to set bail for Glover after a contentious hearing in which the 42-year-old former automobile company executive declined to answer questions on where he lives, works and spends his time.

Glover -- who as recently as 1989 made more than $70,000 a year -- is the second high-profile father jailed in as many months, and was about to be placed on the state's "10 Most Wanted" child-support evaders list.

George C. Smith III, who owed $12,700 in support payments, was tracked down in February after a traffic arrest in Florida. His Carroll County wife had him placed on the 10 Most Wanted list in October 1990. And while Smith was escorted back to Carroll courtesy of two county sheriff's deputies, Glover was allowed to return on his own.

"This is normal procedure," said Alma Forsyth, head of the extradition unit in the Chester County District Attorney's Office.

While the whole process has left a bitter aftertaste in the Browns' mouths, it ended up saving the stateand county thousands of dollars in extradition fees.

"We've got him," said Lanny Holcombe, an investigator in the Carroll State's Attorney's Office. "As far as getting him here, it worked out great."

Sherree and Glover separated in 1985 after 12 years of marriage. Theywere divorced in 1986. Glover was given custody of the three children -- who now range in age from 11 to 16.

Court records show he lost custody of the 16-year-old in 1989, when he drove his son -- keeping him on the floor of his van -- from suburban Philadelphia to Sherree's Westminster home. Glover, court records show, shoved his son out of the van and dropped the boy's belongings -- bunched up in three trash bags -- on the lawn. Glover then drove away.

The 12-year-old later began living with his mother and her new husband, who were married three years ago. Glover was ordered by Circuit Court Judge Luke K.Burns Jr. to make monthly support payments of $725.97.

The Brownshave begun proceedings to gain custody of the youngest boy, who is living with Glover's parents.

Except for a $450 payment, Glover hassent nothing to the Browns since being ordered to do so last year, records show.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.