Board dismisses MSL union charges

March 14, 1992|By Sandra McKee | Sandra McKee,Staff Writer

The National Labor Relations Board has thrown out complaints by the players' union of unfair labor practices against the Major Soccer League and charges of blackballing against Blast coach Kenny Cooper.

In Washington, Major Indoor Soccer League Players Association director John Kerr said he would meet with his attorneys this week to decide whether to appeal.

In Baltimore, Blast owner Ed Hale also was planning to meet with attorneys this week.

"I don't take personal attacks lightly and I'm bristling," Hale said last night. "It was grossly unfair what they did. They embarrassed me and they put Kenny under a lot of heat. It's not right and we're going to seek what legal recourse we can."

The charge, filed in January, stemmed from last year's demand by owners that players accept a $100,000 salary-cap reduction to $550,000 per team and a cut in the top individual salary from $70,000 to $60,000.

The players accepted the cuts, but the union claimed that the league bypassed the Players Association and appealed directly to the players. The union also claimed Hale, Cooper and MSL commissioner Earl Foreman threatened to blacklist players for opposing the cuts.

NLRB Regional Director Louis J. D'Amico dismissed the union charges, saying there was "no evidence whatsoever" to back them up.

Charges that Cleveland refused to re-sign Bernie James and Mike Sweeney because of their opposition to the cuts also were denied.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.