George R. Lewis, first Md. secretary of general services
A memorial service for George R. Lewis, Maryland's first secretary of general services, will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at St. John's United Methodist Church, 216 W. Seminary Ave. in Lutherville.
Mr. Lewis, who was 69 and lived on Kenilworth Park Drive in Towson, died Monday of cancer at Union Memorial Hospital.
He retired in 1977. He became secretary of general services in 1970 when the department was established.
For three years before that, he headed the Maryland Department of Public Improvements, which was part of the new Cabinet department.
During his career in state government, he oversaw the construction of many state buildings, including the World Trade Center, part of the Georgian-style office complex near the State House in Annapolis and additions in the group of state office buildings in Baltimore.
J. Max Millstone, his deputy and successor who now is a workers' compensation commissioner, described Mr. Lewis as "one of the most solid and competent administrators with whom I've had contact."
Before joining state government, Mr. Lewis was a structural engineer in the Baltimore County Department of Public Works, head of the county's Bureau of Public Services and a technical assistant to the county administrator.
Born in Frederick, he was a 1939 graduate of Frederick High School. He attended Rhode Island State College while serving in the Army during World War II. He was in the Transportation Corps and the infantry, went to officers' training school and was discharged as a first lieutenant.
After the war, he attended Bowling Green University in Ohiobefore transferring to the Johns Hopkins University. He graduated with a degree in civil engineering in 1950.
He had worked part time for Baltimore County while in schoolbut after his graduation he was employed by Whitman Requardt and Associates, a consulting engineering firm.
Mr. Lewis played golf at local public courses for many years. From the mid-1970s until the early 1980s, he lived in St. Michaels.
He is survived by his wife, the former Ruth L. Stevens; two daughters, Rhonda R. Berg of Rockville and Amy L. Lewis of Cockeysville; a son, Russell C. Lewis of Charlotte, N.C.; a brother, Charles F. Lewis of Frederick; and five grandchildren.
Ethel E. Foresman
Worked for Hopkins
A memorial service for Ethel Ensor Foresman, who had several positions with the Johns Hopkins University and hospital from 1945 to 1967, will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Westminster United Methodist Church, 165 E. Main St., Westminster.
Mrs. Foresman, 83, died March 1 at Carroll County General Hospital after a stroke.
The Westminster resident had been assistant director of the Johns Hopkins Club on the Homewood campus, registrar in outpatient clinics at the hospital and resident director of a student nurses' residence at the old nursing school.
Earlier, she taught home economics at Westminster High School.
The former Ethel Ensor was born in New Windsor. She graduated from New Windsor High School and, in 1929, from Western Maryland College.
She was an active alumna of the college, a member of the Auxiliary of Carroll County General Hospital and a Meals on Wheels volunteer.
She was a member of the Carroll County Historical Society, the Carroll Garden Club, the Woman's Club of Westminster, the Daughters of the American Revolution and Westminster United Methodist Church.
Her husband, Wilbur S. Foresman, died in 1979.
Her survivors include three stepdaughters, Cordelia Moore of Binghamton, N.Y., Susan Foresman of Arlington, Va., and Nancy Patton of Memphis, Tenn.; and several nieces and nephews.
Rebecca Ann Roubenoff, an authority on nutrition in neurologic illness who worked for five years at Johns Hopkins Hospital, died of cancer Thursday at the New England Medical Center in Boston. She was 40.
Born in Cincinnati and reared in Chicago, the former Rebecca Martrano received her undergraduate degree from Northern Illinois University in 1980 and a master of public health degree from the Johns Hopkins University in 1988. She was a doctoral candidate at Tufts University at the time of her death.
Mrs. Roubenoff was the author of more than 25 published articles and book chapters in medical literature regarding nutrition and disease.
From 1985 to 1990, she worked at the Neurosciences Intensive Care Unit at Hopkins where she pioneered the nutritional and metabolic care of patients with Guillain-Barre syndrome, a common cause of progressive paralysis. She lived most of that time in Pikesville.
A passionate proponent of nutritional medicine who argued that medical school curricula give too little attention to nutrition, Mrs. Roubenoff taught clinical nutrition to phy
sicians at three medical schools -- Northwestern in Chicago, Hopkins and Tufts in Boston.
Survivors include her husband of seven years, Dr. Ronenn Roubenoff of Boston; and a sister, Mary Deibert of Chicago.