Injured city child was playing with cigarette lighter, fire officials say.


March 12, 1992|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Staff Writer John Rivera and William B. Talbott contributed to this story.

A 4-year-old boy was critically burned last night when he apparently started a fire at his Barclay Street home while playing with a cigarette lighter, city fire officials said.

The victim, Ricky Washington, was in critical condition today at the regional burn unit of Francis Scott Key Medical Center.

A firefighter assigned to Truck Company 5 was slightly injured fighting the fire, which was brought under control in about 20 minutes.

Fire officials said the boy was alone in a room at 2328 Barclay St. shortly after 9 p.m. when he set something afire with the lighter.

The boy was burned on the face, right arm, a leg and a hip. He was carried out of the three-story brick rowhouse by one of three adults who were in the home at the time.

Police said he had first- and second-degree burns over 10 percent of his body.

The adults were unhurt.

The firefighter, whose name was not released, sustained minor lacerations and was released after treatment at Mercy Medical Center.

A Fire Department spokesman said the fire caused about $15,000 in damage to the house and contents.

There have been three children killed in fires in the city this year, fire officials said. On Jan. 3, a 5-year-old girl and her 4-year-old brother died when someone threw a firebomb into an East Baltimore rowhouse. On Feb. 19, a 5-year-old boy died in an O'Donnell Heights house fire that was blamed on careless smoking.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.