BASEBALL American League * CHICAGO WHITE SOX -- Announced that Bo Jackson, outfielder, refused an assignment to Vancouver of the Pacific Coast League and became a free agent. Agreed to terms with Jackson on a one-year contract. Signed Mike Huff, outfielder, to a one-year contract.
* CLEVELAND INDIANS -- Agreed to terms with Sandy Alomar Jr., catcher; Carlos Baerga, second baseman; Charles Nagy, pitcher; and Mark Whiten, outfielder, on three-year contracts. Agreed to terms with Steve Olin, Dave Otto, Dennis Cook and Scott Scudder, pitchers, and Glenallen Hill, outfielder, on two-year contracts. Agreed to terms with Rod Nichols, pitcher, on a one-year contract. Renewed the contracts of Alex Cole, outfielder, and Carlos Martinez, first baseman.
National League * MONTREAL EXPOS -- Agreed to terms with Greg Colbrunn and Jimmy Kremers, catchers, and Jeff Fassero and Doug Piatt, pitchers, on one-year contracts. Renewed the contracts of Steve Frey and Mel Rojas, pitchers, and Wilfredo Cordero, shortstop.
* PITTSBURGH PIRATES -- Acquired Kirk Gibson, outfielder, from the Kansas City Royals for Neal Heaton, pitcher.
New York-Penn League * AUBURN ASTROS -- Fired Marc Techman, assistant general manager.
National Basketball Association * LOS ANGELES LAKERS -- Placed James Worthy, forward, on the injured list.
Continental Basketball Association * ROCKFORD LIGHTNING -- Named Mauro Panaggio coach for the 1992-93 season. Signed Kaylon Green, guard.
United States Basketball League O=
* JACKSONVILLE HOOTERS -- Named Artis Gilmore president.
National Football League * GREEN BAY PACKERS -- Signed Andre Townsend, defensive lineman, and Darryl Ingram, tight end.
* MIAMI DOLPHINS -- Signed Tony Martin, wide receiver, to a multiyear contract.
* SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS -- Signed Thane Gash, safety, to a two-year contract.
Canadian Football League * OTTAWA ROUGH RIDERS -- Signed Jacques Moreau, offensive lineman; Darren Joseph, running back; and Mike Philbrick, defensive lineman.
World League of American Football
* BARCELONA DRAGONS -- Released Thomas King, safety.
* BIRMINGHAM FIRE -- Released Simmie Carter and Anthony Newsom, cornerbacks; Sheldon Haliburton, tackle; Brian Lattimore, running back; and Reggie Stewart and Todd Woularde, linebackers.
* FRANKFURT GALAXY -- Traded Jay Butler, tackle, and Joe Johnson, cornerback, to the Montreal Machine for future considerations. Released Derwin Brewer and Jason Johnson, wide receivers; Mike Gindorff, defensive tackle; Lee Johnson, nose guard; and B.J. Lohnsen, punter.
* LONDON MONARCHS -- Traded Danta Whitaker, tight end, to the San Antonio Riders for future considerations.
* ORLANDO THUNDER -- Released Wayne Davis and Jay Koch, linebackers; Chris Ford and Byron Williams, wide receivers; Myron Jones, running back; Rico Labbe and Billy Owens, safeties; and Glenn Neely, tackle.
* SACRAMENTO SURGE -- Traded Scott Campbell, quarterback, the Frankfurt Galaxy for future considerations. Traded Greg -- Coauette, safety, and Adam Walker, running back, to the Ohio Glory for Chris Cochrane, quarterback, and future considerations. Released Mark Hofland, tackle; Melvin Smith, wide receiver; and Pat Tyrance, linebacker.
National Hockey League * CALGARY FLAMES -- Traded Martin Simard, right wing, to the Quebec Nordiques for Greg Smyth, defenseman.
* DETROIT RED WINGS -- Traded Johan Garpenlov, left wing, to the San Jose Sharks for Bob McGill, defenseman, and a 1992 eighth-round draft choice.
* EDMONTON OILERS -- Traded Martin Rucinsky, left wing, to the Quebec Nordiques for Ron Tugnutt, goaltender, and Brad Zavisha, left wing.
* HARTFORD WHALERS -- Acquired Frank Pietrangelo, goalie, from the Pittsburgh Penguins for an undetermined 1993 draft choice.
* MINNESOTA NORTH STARS -- Sent Bobby Reynolds, left wing, to Baltimore of the American Hockey League. Agreed to terms with Frank Kovacs, left wing, on a two-year contract.
* MONTREAL CANADIENS -- Traded Petr Svoboda, defenseman, the Buffalo Sabres for Kevin Haller, defenseman.
* NEW YORK RANGERS -- Traded Mark Janssens, forward, to the Minnesota North Stars for Mario Thyer, center, and a 1993 third-round draft choice. Assigned Thyer to Binghamton of the American Hockey League.
* NEW YORK ISLANDERS -- Traded Ken Baumgartner, defenseman, and Dave McLlwain, right wing, to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Claude Loiselle, center, and Daniel Marois, right wing.
* OTTAWA SENATORS -- Signed a three-year affiliation agreement with New Haven of the American Hockey League.
* PITTSBURGH PENGUINS -- Sent Jamie Leach, right wing; Ken Priestlay, center; and Bryan Fogarty, defenseman, to Muskegon of the International Hockey League.
* QUEBEC NORDIQUES -- Traded Bryan Fogarty, defenseman, to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Scott Young, right wing.
* SAN JOSE SHARKS -- Traded Ken Hammond, defenseman, to the Vancouver Canucks for an eighth-round draft choice. Assigned Jean-Francois Quintin, left wing, to Kansas City of the International Hockey League.