School Scuffle Leads To 2 Arrests, 6 Suspensions

Police To Return Toannapolis High Today As Precaution

March 11, 1992|By Kris Antonelli and Dennis O'Brien | Kris Antonelli and Dennis O'Brien,Staff writers

Two Annapolis High School students were arrested yesterday after a fight in a school hallway among six youths from rival factions in two of the city's public housing projects.

The youths -- a 16-year-oldfrom Eastport Terrace and a 17-year-old from Newtowne20 -- were released to their parents after being charged on juvenile citations with disturbing activities in school, said county police spokesman V. Richard Molloy.

Those two and four others involved in the fight were suspended from school, said Principal Laura Webb. There were no injuries serious enough to require medical attention.

Meanwhile, police are to be posted at the building in the 2700 block of Riva Road when classes begin at 7:30 a.m. today, said Lt. Michael McNelly of the county police Southern District station.

"Any time we have more than two kids involved in a fight, we monitor the situation to make sure that it doesn't get out of

hand," McNelly said.

Webb said she would warn teachers to be on the lookout for signs of trouble.

Officers returned to the school during lunch and after classes yesterday, but there were no further incidents.

School officials said the fight broke out between two students about 7:30 a.m. in a second-floor hallway and quickly escalated when four others joined in.

Teachers broke up the fracas in about five minutes, but called police because one studentkept shouting and struggling with whomever tried to restrain him, Webb said.

"This was the carry-over from a fight Saturday night at Annapolis Mall," Molloy said.

At about 9:15 p.m. Saturday, police stepped in to separate groups of teen-age boys from Newtowne20 and Eastport Terrace who were shouting at each other in front of about 60 onlookers in the mall parking lot.

Michael Germaine Somerville, 19, of the 700 block of Newtowne Drive, and a 17-year-old from Eastport Terrace were charged with disorderly conduct in that incident, Molloy said.

Molloy said the students involved in yesterday's fracas could face more charges after school officials complete their investigation.

Students interviewed in front of the school said youths from Eastport and Newtowne20 had been openly feuding for weeks and that there had been animosity between the two groups since September.

"Thething you got to do is don't get involved and stay out of the way," said one junior who did not want to give his name.

Webb acknowledged that the feud has created fear and tension among students.

"There's been some unrest in these two communities and it's spilled into the school," she said. "I think that there's a lot of fear out there,and they feel like they have to be on their own guard."

Initiallyschool officials thought that 12 students were involved, but Webb said she determined after talking with the students and those who had witnessed the fight, that six of them were "on the outside" watching.

It was not the first problem this year, she said. About three weeks ago a 19-year-old sophomore who had been out of school for the past18 months before re-entering in January, jumped another student and tried to beat him up.

The 19-year-old, who was a friend of one of the students involved in yesterday's fight, was expelled, she said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.