G. Kenneth Reiblich, authority on law
A memorial service for G. Kenneth Reiblich, an authority on constitutional law who was a professor at the University of Maryland law school before moving to the faculty of the University of Arizona, will be held at 2 p.m. today at the Adair Funeral Chapel in Tucson, Ariz.
Dr. Reiblich, who lived in Tucson, died Friday of congestive heart failure at a nursing home there. He was 86.
He taught at Arizona's law school for 15 years before his retirement in 1978. He had joined the faculty at Maryland in 1930. He was an adviser and contributor to the law reviews at both schools.
He wrote an annual article on the Supreme Court from 1953 to 1983 for the West Publishing Co. and had been a consultant for the company's 25-volume Maryland legal encyclopedia.
Dr. Reiblich had been an instructor on government at New York University and a visiting professor at George Washington University, the Hastings College of Law of the University of California in San Francisco and the University of North Dakota.
From 1944 to 1949, he was on leave from the Maryland faculty to work for the Baltimore Gas and Electric Co., which he later served as a consultant. He was on the board of the Safe Harbor Water Power Corp., which built a hydroelectric dam on the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania.
In 1950, he prepared a legislative report that paved the way for the establishment of the Patuxent Institution and served on its advisory board and then its governing board until moving to Arizona in 1963.
Between 1957 and 1961, he was executive secretary of the Maryland Self Survey Commission, which studied various aspects of state government, including a revision of the criminal laws.
The native of Hebbville was a 1921 graduate of the Catonsville High School. He graduated in 1925 from the Johns Hopkins University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and later earned a doctorate in political science. He attended the University of Maryland law school but received his law degrees from New York University and Columbia University.
Admitted to practice in New York and Maryland and before the Supreme Court, he was a member of the American Law Institute and a life member of the American Bar Association.
While still at Maryland, he was a member of the state and Baltimore bar associations, the Wednesday Law Club and the Baldric Club, of which he was president.
He had also been president of the Torch Club and was on the board of the Maryland Association for Mental Health.
He was a former master of the Kedron Lodge of the Masons, a member of the York Rite and a member of Boumi Temple and its Legion of Honor.
Long active with the Order of DeMolay, an organization for young men, he was awarded the Grand Cross of Color for his work with the International Order of Rainbow for Girls.
He is survived by his wife, the former Minerva Mitchell; three daughters, Anne B. Leland of Kingsville, Mary L. Foley of Reston, Va., and Carol G. Cook of Towson; four sons, Kenneth T. Reiblich of Perry Point, David M. Reiblich of Indianapolis and George W. and Carroll W. Reiblich, both of Tucson; 12 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. Graveside services for Vera T. Green, a retired Social Security Administration executive, will be held at 2:30 p.m. today at St. Thomas' Cemetery, 8502 Liberty Road.
Mrs. Green, who was 70 and lived in the Gardenwood Apartments in Woodlawn, died Sunday of cancer at the Stella Maris Hospice.
She retired in 1978 after 26 years with the federal agency.
Earlier, she had been in the real estate business in Northwest Baltimore.
The former Vera T. Turner was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of Douglass High School who took courses at Loyola College and other local schools.
Her first marriage to Howard A. Edwards ended in divorce. Her second husband, Julius L. Green, died in 1973.
She is survived by a daughter, Marlene E. Ferguson of San Francisco, and her mother, Olivia Turner of Catonsville.