Aquarium's first baby dolphin is busily drinking to its own good health

March 09, 1992|By Jay Merwin | Jay Merwin,Staff Writer Staff writer John Rivera contributed to this article.

A new dolphin calf, the first to be born at the National Aquarium, has passed the first test of its survival by suckling from its mother, a 13-year-old bottlenose named Shiloh.

"Both mom and calf seem to be doing quite well. We're cautiously optimistic," said John Jarkowiec, a senior mammalogist at the Aquarium. "The mom is producing milk, and the calf is suckling."

The calf was born at 8:25 p.m. Saturday. It suckled for the first time 6 1/2 hours later and has since followed an almost hourly schedule of nursing. Suckling is essential within the first 24 hours of life, Mr. Jarkowiec said, when the mother is producing colostrum, milk rich in antibodies that the calf needs to strengthen its immune system.

The Aquarium staff knows the calf is getting the colostrum because of the white cloud that floats up when it disengages from its mother, Mr. Jarkowiec said. And, the calf is a strong swimmer, he said.

"If the calf were not getting [colostrum], it would not be as feisty as it is now," he said.

This is Shiloh's third calf. Her first was stillborn, Mr. Jarkowiec said, and her second is now in an aquarium in Florida. Infant mortality is high for first-born calves, he said.

Chances of survival improve for succeeding calves, he said, as the mother "learns from her mistakes." Dolphin births in captivity are not unusual, he said, although this is a first for the Baltimore Aquarium.

Shiloh and another pregnant dolphin, Hailey, were separated from the other dolphins in October to live in their own maternity pool. Mr. Jarkowiec said the Aquarium staff is concerned about Hailey, whose calf is due within the month, because she is small and this is her first pregnancy.

The staff is hoping that Hailey might benefit from watching the birth and the bonding between Shiloh and her calf. Hailey and Shiloh and her calf presently are being kept in one of the largest holding pools, away from direct public view. But Aquarium visitors will be able to watch the calf's progress through a closed-circuit video monitor.

The sex of the new calf will not be determined for several months, or after the staff has a chance to get a good view of its underside. It will not be named until then.

The amphitheater of the Marine Mammal Pavilion will be closed today to preserve the quiet for mother and calf. The cancellation could be extended if necessary. When the marine mammal section reopens, shows in the amphitheater will feature only dolphins -- with the popular beluga whales expected to be sent to Sea World of Texas.

The decision to give up the beluga was prompted by the apparent killing of a beluga named Anore last December by one of the Aquarium's five adult dolphins during a training exercise.

The Aquarium staff will continue to monitor the dolphin calf closely for the next several days, despite its first signs of thriving.

"We're in no way out of the woods yet," Mr. Jarkowiec said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.