Teen To Be Tried As Adult

Judge Denies Request To Send Myers Case Tojuvenile Court

March 08, 1992|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Staff writer

WESTMINSTER — Since being charged with breaking into an Old Hanover Road home and terrorizing its occupants at gunpoint last July, Brian Myers has madethe honor roll at his high school for the first time, decided upon acareer path and improved a fractious relationship with his father.

But to Circuit Judge Raymond E. Beck Sr., the 16-year-old Myers hasn't earned the right to have the attempted murder, armed robbery and burglary charges lodged against him heard in juvenile court.

"Part of growing up is being responsible for your actions," the judge said last week as he ruled against Myers' motion to have the charges heard in juvenile court. "The nature of these acts is horrendous.

"There needs to be something held under his head."

For Myers,the specter of charges that carry with them the possibility of decades behind bars has been hanging over his head since what he called "the worst week" in his life.

State police had charged the BackwoodsBoy as an adult after two teen-agers had held the family of Arthur and Janis Lockard at gunpoint in July, stolen their car and led policeon a high-speed chase.

A second youth was charged as a juvenile with armed robbery and burglary, and his case was handled by the juvenile court.

The charges against Myers stem from the 1 a.m. break-inon July 28.

The intruders took guns from the home and held the Lockards and their two children at gunpoint.

They ransacked the homeand took money from Janis Lockard's purse, court records show.

A scuffle ensued when Arthur Lockard attempted to grab a shotgun from one of the youths.

Police said the fighting stopped when the secondyouth threatened to harm the Lockards' 14-year-old son.

The youths fled the home in the Lockards' 1977 Ford pickup truck, court records show.

Two state police troopers, Tfc. Philip Henry and Tfc. JohnDunn, saw the truck leave and gave pursuit.

The chase continued south on Route 97 at high speed and then east on Route 496, police said. During the chase, the truck rammed the rear of Henry's police cruiser.

After the chase, the youths and Henry were treated for minor injuries at Carroll County General Hospital and were released.

Theattempted murder charge against Myers stems from the ramming of the police car.

Just west of Route 30, the driver of the pickup truck lost control of the vehicle, which flipped over several times before coming to rest on a nearby lawn.

Myers has been free on bail sincethen, and, testimony Wednesday showed, he has undergone psychiatric treatment.

That treatment has led to a vast improvement in his outlook on life, in his school work and has made him more focused on thefuture, his attorney said.

Myers had hoped that the case could beheard in juvenile court, where, should he have been found guilty, the conviction would not be a permanent part of his criminal record.

And while the judge was visibly pleased with the progress Myers has made in his life, he was not ready to let the charges be heard outside of Circuit Court.

"The defendant is under control now, but he shows indications of being a loose cannon," Beck said.

"I think (Myers) is going to need help, and that help is not only available in thejuvenile system."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.