Cardinals woo unprotected Jacoby

March 07, 1992|By Vito Stellino | Vito Stellino,Staff Writer

Joe Bugel, the Phoenix Cardinals head coach and former coach of the Washington Redskins offensive line, is trying to lure another Hog to Phoenix.

Bugel, who signed Mark May, a former Redskins lineman, from the San Diego Chargers' Plan B unprotected list, had offensive lineman Joe Jacoby in for a visit yesterday.

Although the Redskins left him unprotected because, they said, he told them he wouldn't leave, Jacoby wouldn't rule out the possibility of signing with the Cardinals.

"I'm just looking out for my interests and my family," he told reporters in Phoenix. "I'm just looking for financial security. I'm looking at every opportunity."

Jacoby, who will be 33 in July, said he still has "some good years left in my body," and said the Chargers and the Philadelphia Eagles also have shown some interest in him.

Jacoby said he'll take a look at the Phoenix area during the weekend and make a decision on his future by "early next week."

Jacoby can play both tackle and guard. He played left guard until right tackle Ed Simmons was injured and then he shifted to that position. He's expected to move back to left guard this year if he stays with the Redskins.

The Redskins left three Hogs, Jacoby, Jeff Bostic and tight end Don Warren, unprotected because they said they had no plans to leave, but Bugel is giving Jacoby a strong sales pitch.

A fourth Hog, Russ Grimm, who visited Phoenix last year but didn't sign with them, also was left unprotected, but he plans to retire and may join the Washington coaching staff.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.