Capitals still frustrated after 3-3 tie with Jets

March 07, 1992|By Bill Free | Bill Free,Staff Writer

LANDOVER -- A dejected Don Beaupre was emotionally and physically drained last night after the Washington Capitals could gain only a 3-3 tie with the Winnipeg Jets at the Capital Centre.

For 65 minutes, Beaupre had done everything he could to change Washington's fortunes at home in March. He made 34 saves, including 14 in an outstanding first-period performance that enabled his teammates to hold a 1-0 lead even though the Jets dominated the first 20 minutes.

But all Beaupre and his teammates had to show for it was a tie, one point and an 0-2-1 record in March at the Capital Centre during the past five days. Washington is 0-3-2 in its past five games.

"It was the same old story for us tonight," Beaupre said. "We're not getting a lot of breaks, and I haven't been the luckiest guy around. But every game has been that way lately."

Beaupre was referring to Winnipeg's first goal, when the puck bounced off Jets center Thomas Steen's skate into the net.

The tie enabled the second-place Capitals to gain one point on the idle New York Rangers, who lead the Patrick Division with 88 points. Washington has 81.

Although Beaupre was disappointed with the tie, Capitals coach Terry Murray was at least outwardly satisfied.

"We have to regroup [for tonight's game at home against New Jersey Devils]," Murray said. "No, I take that word regroup back. I'm not dissatisfied with the tie. We worked hard out there and deserved to get the power-play goal that tied it [Michal Pivonka's score at 16:56 of third period that forced the overtime]. The main thing we have to do better tomorrow night [tonight] is to get the puck to the middle of the net more."

Murray said it was almost impossible for Washington to use its speed last night because the Jets used a 1-2-2 prevent defense.

"If I were the fans, I wouldn't want to pay a lot of money to see this game," Murray said. "It takes a lot of fun out of it, but they're on the road and have to do what they can to win."

The tie gave Winnipeg a 2-0-1 mark against the Capitals this season.

Former Capitals defenseman Mike Lalor and right wing Pat Elynuik had scored goals in a one-minute stretch late in the third period to send Winnipeg ahead 3-2 at 13:13 of that period.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.