Dr. James Karns, taught at UM Medical School
A memorial service for Dr. James R. Karns, retired clinical professor of medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and retired medical director of the Monumental Life Insurance Co., will be held at 11:30 a.m. today at St. John's Episcopal Church in Salem, N.J.
Dr. Karns, who was 76 and had moved to Salem after his retirement in 1982, died Feb. 28 after a heart attack while on vacation in Port St. Joseph, Fla.
A specialist in internal medicine, he had been president of the medical board at University Hospital, chief of clinical medicine at Maryland General Hospital and president of the trustees of the University of Maryland Medical School.
He had chaired the Baltimore and Maryland affiliates of the American Society of Internal Medicine and served on the board of the Medical Alumni Association of the University of Maryland.
Born in Cumberland, he earned a pharmacy degree at the University of Maryland before his graduation in 1940 from the medical school, where he won the university's Gold Medal.
After his internship at University Hospital, he served in Australia as a captain with the Army's 42nd General Hospital and its subsidiary, the 3rd Portable Surgical Hospital. His decorations included the Bronze Star and a Presidential Unit Citation.
He became a resident at University Hospital in 1946. The next year, he became an instructor in medicine and director of the medical school's student health service, holding the latter post for 20 years.
Dr. Karns was medical director of the Maryland Life Insurance Co. from 1949 to 1962 and, from 1971 to 1982, of the Monumental Life Insurance Co.
From 1968 to 1982, he served on the medical advisory board of the Motor Vehicle Administration.
A fellow of the American College of Physicians who had been certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, he was a member of the Baltimore City Medical Society, the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland, the American Medical Association and the University of Maryland Hospital Medical Association.
He published professional papers concerning heart disease, emphysema and tuberculosis.
He lived in Ruxton before moving in retirement to New Jersey, where he and his wife had restored her family home. He enjoyed hunting water fowl and upland birds, and was a golfer who belonged to the Maryland Country Club.
He is survived by his wife, Dr. Elizabeth Acton; and a son, James A. Karns of Jacksonville, Fla.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the trustees of the Endowment Fund of the University of Maryland Medical School.
A Mass of Christian burial for Sister Mary Eileen Caulfield, R.G.S., retired bookkeeper at the Good Shepherd Center, will be offered at 9:30 a.m. today at the center, 4100 Maple Ave., Halethorpe.
Sister Mary Eileen, who was 81 and lived at the center, died Wednesday at St. Agnes Hospital after an apparent heart attack.
From 1971 to 1987, she was the bookkeeper at the Roman Catholic center, which treats girls who have emotional or behavioral problems.
Born Helen Theresa Caulfield in Baltimore, she entered the Sisters of the Good Shepherd in 1934.
She supervised a laundry and kitchen at an institution operated by her order in Washington during the 1930s and 1940s. Then, for about 20 years, she was assistant group leader at a home for girls in Batesburg, S.C.
For about five years before moving to the Halethorpe center, she supervised the kitchen at the old House of the Good Shepherd on Calverton Road.
She was known among the sisters for her sense of humor. She wrote poetry, was an Orioles fan and had a strong interest in nature.
Her survivors include many nieces and nephews.
Dorothy F. Leonard
Dorothy F. Leonard, a retired secretary in the chancery office of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore, died Feb. 28 of cancer at her home in the Eudowood Towers Apartments in Towson.
Mrs. Leonard, who was 77, had worked for the chancery for eight years before retiring in the mid-1970s. In the late 1970s, she worked for a time for the late Cardinal Lawrence Shehan, helping him to prepare his memoirs for publication.
The former Dorothy Finke was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of St. Paul's Business School. She had worked part time for several companies before beginning the archdiocesan employment.
She was an accomplished bridge player who had won master's points in regional tournaments.
A resident of Ednor Gardens for many years, she had been active in the Sodality at Blessed Sacrament Church. She was also active in the Auxiliary of Villa Assumpta, the motherhouse of the School Sisters of Notre Dame.
Her husband, William A. Leonard Jr., is a retired civilian employee of the Army.
In addition to her husband, survivors include a son, William G. Leonard of White Hall; three daughters, Patricia A. Reese of Catonsville, Kathleen L. O'Neill of Damascus and Dorothy E. Leonard of Chase; a sister, Helen Humphreys of Towson; and seven grandchildren.