Running back to rejoin Ohio State football teamRobert...

Sports briefly

March 04, 1992

Running back to rejoin Ohio State football team

Robert Smith, who broke Archie Griffin's freshman rushing record at Ohio State in 1990 only to quit the team last August, will rejoin the team April 2 for spring practice.

Coach John Cooper said Smith's decision wasn't related to the departure of offensive coordinator Elliott Uzelac, who Smith says told him to skip a class to attend practice. Uzelac, a former Navy head coach, denied saying that. Cooper said Smith decided to return to the team before Uzelac resigned last month.

"There wasn't any one thing that broke the ice," Cooper said in a telephone interview. "Robert and I have talked off and on since the season ended."

Pro football

Steelers halfback Tim Worley faces a minimum one-year suspension without pay for missing at least two mandatory NFL drug tests in the past month. Worley was suspended for six weeks last season after a second positive test for cocaine. He failed to show up for tests on Feb. 7 and Feb. 10, his agent, Jerry Albano, said.

"He's sorry now," Albano said. "I know we ain't got much ground to argue on. The only thing we got to argue on is stupidity."

Under the NFL drug-abuse policy, when a player misses a scheduled urine test it is treated as a positive result. A third positive test during a player's career means a suspension without pay for at least one year. Worley is supposed to make $450,000 next season.

College basketball

Four basketball players from Bryant College in Smithfield, R.I., have been suspended and another dismissed following allegations they were involved in a gambling ring, college president William E. Trueheart.

The college also announced the creation of a six-member blue ribbon task force to study the problem of student gambling.

State police said last week that four current players and the dismissed player had bet on college sports, and some players allegedly collected debts for the ring. State police Capt. Brian Andrews said the five had combined to wager as much as $54,000.


Tonya Harding, the 1991 U.S. figure skating champion coming off disappointing performances at the national championships and Olympics, has rehired Diane Rawlinson as her coach. Rawlinson, who worked with Harding for nearly 14 years, replaces Dody Teachman, with whom Harding had risen to the top of the sport.

This is the second time in less than a year that Harding has gone from Teachman to Rawlinson. She did so last spring, after finishing second at the world championships. Three months later, Harding reunited with Teachman.

Harding also said she is planning to continue competing for two more years, aiming for the 1994 Olympics at Lillehammer, Norway.

Auto racing

New York City granted final approval to the Marlboro Grand Prix of New York, an annual auto race that will start rattling the financial district's window panes in June 1993.

The Franchise and Concession Review Committee voted to approve a 10-year agreement with the promoter, MotorMarketing International Incorporated, for a race over a 1.3-mile temporary track using streets around the World Trade Center.

The first race, with most of the same cars and drivers from the Indianapolis 500, is scheduled for June 27, 1993.

Sled dog racing

Martin Buser of Big Lake traveled a fast trail to Nikolai, Alaska, to become the first musher to reach the village's community hall, the 10th checkpoint, 365 miles into the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

Mushers continued the 1,159-mile race from Anchorage to Nome amid word that a dog belonging to musher Raymie Redington had died of a heart condition. Redington won a $25,000 pickup truck by being first to reach Skwentna, 149 miles into the race.

Officials said one of his dogs died before reaching Skwentna. An autopsy disclosed a heart condition that officials said could not have been detected before the race.

High schools

In a span of eight days in Tulsa, Okla., a high school basketball coach broke his collarbone and a soccer coach required surgery after being struck in the face during a postgame melee.

A fight started after a freshman basketball game Feb. 20 between Memorial and East Central. A videotape of the game showed that Memorial coach Terry Thomason was grabbed from behind by an East Central player and thrown to the floor, breaking his collarbone. The student was suspended from school through the fall semester.

Last Friday, Bixby soccer coach Matt Griffin was struck in the face several times and kicked in the back of the leg by Tulsa Hale players following Hale's 3-0 victory in a scrimmage at Bixby, located just outside the Tulsa district.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.