Around the perimeter
* SHARP-SHOOTING NEWCOMERS -- Clemson is 14-11 overall, but the Tigers and Maryland share the cellar in the ACC. The Tigers might be doing better if the ball found its way more often to Devin Gray and Corey Wallace.
Gray, a Baltimore All-Metro for St. Frances-Charles Hall, has been a fixture in the Clemson lineup recently. He's averaging 10.8 points and 5.0 rebounds. The 6-6 freshman forward began the season by making 30 of his first 43 field-goal attempts, and after a January slump, his shooting percentage is back up to 53.7. He had 22 points in a lop-sided Jan. 27 loss to top-ranked Duke, the Tigers' home opponent tomorrow.
Gray's field-goal percentage is second best on the team to Wallace, a 6-7 junior out of Meade High and Allegany Community College. Averaging 7.4 points and 3.8 rebounds, Wallace has made 54.0 percent of his shots, 50 percent from three-point range. He's started 10 games.
* SIDELINED AGAIN -- The on-again, off-again career of Lewis Lambert is off again.
Lambert provided the inside muscle for Dunbar in 1988, when his teammates included Sam Cassell and Kevin Green. After a year of prep school at Maine Central, he was academically ineligible to play as a freshman at Cleveland State. Last year, when his mobility was slowed by a toe injury, he averaged 2.6 points and 2.5 rebounds. Off-season surgery didn't solve the problem, one of the reasons Lambert left the Vikings after their Feb. 17 game against Eastern Illinois. He had appeared in 18 of Cleveland State's first 23 games, averaging 2.2 points, 2.6 rebounds and 8.9 minutes.
Lambert is still seeking a degree at Cleveland State. * ACC -- Christian Laettner, Duke, 6-11 sr. center: 61 points in wins over Virginia and UCLA.
* Atlantic 10 -- Jeff Kent, Rhode Island, 6-10 sr. center: Averaged 16.3 points and 11.0 rebounds in 1-2 week. Harry Moore, St. Bonaventure, 6-8 so. forward: Averaged 17.7 points and 7.6 rebounds in 2-1 week.
* Atlantic 10 Women's -- Rosemary Kosiorek, West Virginia, 5-5 sr. guard: Mercy High grad had 51 points in two wins, stretching the Mountaineers' winning streak to 20.
* Metro Atlantic -- Derrick Canada, Iona, 6-1 sr. guard: Had 38 points in two games. Bruce Schroeder, Siena, 6-3 sr. guard: Averaged 21 points in 1-1 week.
* Metro Atlantic Rookie -- Brian Pendleton, Loyola, 6-6 fr. forward: Had 17 points and 22 rebounds in two conference wins.
* Northeast -- Alex Blackwell, Monmouth, 6-8 sr. forward: Averaged 27 points and 14 rebounds in two conference wins.
* Patriot -- Fred Herzog, Fordham, 6-9 sr. forward: Had 64 points and 17 rebounds in two conference wins.