Stabbing Suspects Nabbed

Police and fire scan

March 01, 1992

WESTMINSTER — State police arrested a Baltimore man and a Howard women Friday night in connection with the abduction and stabbing of a Northwest Baltimore businessman found stumbling along a Sykesville road last week.

David Teddy Yoswick, 24, of Baltimore and Karen Sue Palido, 32, of Elkridge, were arrested outside her Howard County home about 2 p.m. Friday. Both had been sought on warrants charging them with attempted murder, kidnapping and armed robbery.

The arrests were made after police said investigators developed information leading to the identities of two suspects wanted in the 10p.m. Tuesday abduction of Frank A. Storch, 34, from the parking lot of a hotel in Jessup, Anne Arundel County.

Police said the encounter began an 18-hour ordeal, which ended Wednesday afternoon when Storch, a licensed private detective and real estate company president, was assaulted and left for dead near a creek along Arrington Road.

Both suspects were being held at the Carroll County Detention Center pending a bail review hearing tomorrow morning. The two appeared before Carroll County District Court Commissioner Kelley W. Miller late Friday night.

Storch, listed in serious but stable condition, was visited by his friend Gov. William Donald Schaefer Thursday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Police said he is suffering memory lapses in recalling events.

Police said the joint investigation with the Carroll State's Attorney's Office is continuing.



WESTMINSTER -- The second of two men charged in the August 1991 slaying of a 74-year-old North Baltimore woman will appear in Circuit Court Wednesday for pretrial motions.

Troy Dominic Shellington, 20, was charged in the fatal beating and stabbing of Margaret Cullen.

A friend he met in church, Abras Morrison, 20, also was charged in the slaying.

Cullen's decomposed body was found in a cornfield near Hampstead.

Shellington and Morrison both confessed to the crime when they were arrested by Baltimore homicide detectives. Each implicated the other.

Morrison lost a battle last week to have his confession suppressed as evidence in his upcoming trial in Circuit Court.

Morrison worked for Cullen and her ailing husband. Police say he and Shellington tried to persuade Cullen to drop the forgery charges she lodged after she discovered that Morrison had forged her signature on a $2,000 check.

When Cullen resisted, the two decided to tie her up, drive her to the country and leave her there so they would have time either to flee or pay back the $2,000, police say. As the two were leaving Cullen in the Carroll County cornfield, she resisted, trying to run back toward the car. Both Shellingtonand Morrison drew knives, and, court records say, she ran into one of them.

Both men are being held in the Baltimore City Jail on $1 million full bond.


A Finksburg man was one of six Maryland residents convicted of unemployment insurance fraud during January, said the Claims Investigation Unit of the Maryland Department of Economic and Employment Development.

Duane Redding was charged with two counts of filing fraudulent claims, totaling $1,536.

Redding was found guilty in Baltimore District Court, where he was sentenced to 36 months of supervised probation and 100 hours of community service.

He is to make restitution in the form of 15 monthly installments of about $100.

All six people convicted concealed the fact that they were working while collecting unemployment insurance benefits. The amount they received totaled $12,069.

People who knowingly fail to disclose accurate and complete information to obtain unemployment insurance are subject to fraud charges. Penalties include fines, prison sentences and disqualification from receiving future unemployment benefits.

During January, 95 requests for investigationsinto possible unemployment insurance fraud were received at the Claims Investigation Unit.



WESTMINSTER -- After a day of deliberations, a Carroll Circuit Courtjury was sent home for the weekend Friday without reaching a verdictin a $2.5 million medical malpractice case.

The negligence and wrongful death suit was filed in July 1989 on behalf of George Simpers of Manchester and the estate of his wife, Bertie. The suit claims that his wife's 1985 death from a ruptured brain aneurysm was caused by the negligence of John S. Harshey of Anchor Street, Randallstown neurologist Solomon D. Robbins and Baltimore neurosurgeon Fred N. Sugar.

The suit says that the doctors should have diagnosed the aneurysm much earlier than they did. An aneurysm is an enlargement of an artery, vein or blood vessel that can rupture, causing death.

Bertie Simpers was under treatment for severe headaches since the late 1960s, but the aneurysm was discovered only days before she died.

The trial began Feb. 19. A host of expert witnesses testified, giving endless details of the workings of the brain and the nervous system.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.