Home Construction At Copperfield To Restart In Summer

Economy, Faulty Plans Delayed Development

February 26, 1992|By Anne Haddad | Anne Haddad,Staff writer

TANEYTOWN — Despite a year-long delay due to a sluggish economy and some engineering problems, more construction on the Copperfield development will begin this summer, pending approval from the city.

The Taneytown Planning and Zoning Commission granted a five-month extension Monday to Copperfield Joint Ventures to submit a preliminary plan for the second phase of the five-phase project.

The first phase already has been built off Stumptown Road and has10 homes. A total of 159 homes are planned.

City Council members wanted the commission to review the project before granting the extension, because a year had gone by with no activity on the plans. The commission voted Monday to recommend the extension.

"It was partially due to the economy and partially due to problems we had with engineering firms," said Copperfield partner Thomas Poss. He said new engineers had to be hired to revise some mistakes made in the original plans.

The economic delay was in getting construction financing, Poss said. With banks not lending, the partners have gotten funding fromprivate sources, he said.

Poss' next step will be to bring construction plans for review by the city, said Laverne Smith, code enforcement officer.

Smith said the economy also accounts for the year-long delay in White Birch, another proposed development that got final approval in July 1990.

In other business Monday, the commission recommended that the City Council:

* Allow Leonard Wantz to subdivide a large commercial lot he owns on Route 140 near Reindollar Hardware into four smaller parcels. The approval is pending a change in the city's master plan regarding a road that had been planned to go through the lot.

Wantz' plans for the lots include the relocation of his Chevrolet dealership and possibly a grocery store.

* Reduce the space required for a right of way through the proposed Mountain Brookindustrial or residential development, pending comments from the state regarding its impact on a proposed bypass to Route 140.

The state usually requires a right of way of 300 feet, but developer James Ridgley of Towson asked to reduce it to 120 feet, which he would give to the city. The city in turn would be able to transfer it to the state should it ever build the bypass.

But Councilman Henry Heine, who also sits on the commission, said the bypass is low on the state's priority list anyway.

Smith said the right of way is only one of many hurdles Ridgley will have to clear before the city will approve apreliminary plan. Others include wetlands and a safety concern aboutwhere the entrance road would meet state Route 194, he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.