The following recipes are scheduled for the weekend:
* 11 a.m.: Health Smart Gourmet Cooking; On the light side.
* 11:30 a.m.: Louisiana Cookin'; Shrimp.
* Noon: Yan Can Cook; Noodles, pasta and more fun.
* 12:30 p.m.: Matters of Taste; Fish for friends.
* 1 p.m.: Cuisine Rapide; Crabs.
* 3:30 p.m.: Today's Gourmet; Light and leisurely.
* 4 p.m. Frugal Gourmet; German immigrants.
* 4:30 p.m.: Julia Child and Co.; Sunday night supper.
* 5 p.m. Heartland Cooking; It's fair game.
This recipe, Shrimp Pilau, will be included in this week's airing of "Louisiana Cookin'." The show, and recipes, is based on "Homegrown Louisiana Cookin' " by Justin Wilson, MacMillan Publishing, 1990.
4 strips bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup uncooked rice (not instant)
2 cups stock or water
1 cup minced tomatoes or tomato sauce
Salt to taste
Louisiana hot sauce or ground cayenne pepper to taste
1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
In medium-sized skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until it is crisp. Remove bacon and set aside. To bacon drippings, add onions, garlic and rice. Stir and cook until rice becomes golden brown and onions are clear, about 15 minutes. Stirring, add stock, tomatoes, salt and hot sauce and bring to boil. Stir in shrimp and bacon, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
Serves six to eight.